File Copy Corruption RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, I have created my own WHS using a spare PC I have at home. Everything went great with the setup and I think the tool is excellent, however I have discovered a problem whereby when I try to copy data off my WHS to another computer, the data is corrupted!! The data itself is not corrupt (thankfully), I have been able to copy everything off using a direct attached USB HDD.

My WHS is patched with the latest updates and PP2.

I have read a lot about the known file corruption problem, however mine seems different to that and that problem is meant to be fixed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Friday, August 21, 2009 8:31 AM

All replies

• Can you please provide some more details on the file corruption?

1. Client OS
    2. Type of file(s) fow which you observe corruption (Did you try other file types)
    3. Type of network connection
    4. Security packages used on server or client
    5. What do you mean by "corruption" Do you get any error messages when you try to open the file?
    Friday, August 21, 2009 1:33 PM
  • Are you running at least power pack 1?  this sounds like the corruption bug that was stomped out with pp1.
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 12:50 AM
  • Hi Brubber,

thanks for the reply, please read below for my answers.

1. Client OS

Windows 7 RC, RTM 32 & 64 also Windows Vista. I will try with an XP laptop and post my results.

2. Type of file(s) fow which you observe corruption (Did you try other file types)

It basically happens with all files. (MP3, AVI, JPG, DOC, PDF, TXT, Basically anything)

Both WIFI and Gbit LAN

None, alll clean installs.

5. What do you mean by "corruption" Do you get any error messages when you try to open the file?

By corruption I mean the file is unusable. For example, when I copy a music file, I can some times play the file but it sounds like it's in slow fast forward with another song mixed in. Videos files either don't open, or they open but sound might be missing, or the sound might be there, but video isn't. Word documents basically open with the standard Word file conversion wizard, the type you get when it doesn't recognise the format. Picture either don't open with the MS picture viewer saying the file is corrupt.

Hope this helps...

Michael.
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 12:56 AM
  • Hi Brubber,

1. Client OS

Windows 7 RC, RTM 32 & 64 also Windows Vista. I will try with an XP laptop and post my results.

It basically happens with all files. (MP3, AVI, JPG, DOC, PDF, TXT, Basically anything)

Both WIFI and Gbit LAN

By corruption I mean the file is unusable. For example, when I copy a music file, I can some times play the file but it sounds like it's in slow fast forward with another song mixed in. Videos files either don't open, or they open but sound might be missing, or the sound might be there, but video isn't. Word documents basically open with the standard Word file conversion wizard, the type you get when it doesn't recognise the format. Picture either don't open with the MS picture viewer saying the file is corrupt.

Hope this helps...

Michael.

Just to make sure you are up-to-date, what are the component numbers shown in the Console (Settings button, Resources tab)?  How did you copy the data to the server (to the UNC path or some other method)?  What tool did you use to copy the data (i.e. Windows Explorer)?  When you say "The data itself is not corrupt (thankfully), I have been able to copy everything off using a direct attached USB HDD", do you mean that the problem is only if you play a file directly from the server through the shares (and not if you copy the same file through the server desktop to a USB drive, then disconnect that drive from the server and connect it to the same client that you used to play the file through the shares)?
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 1:25 AM
  • Yes, running all the latest patches including PP2.
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 2:14 AM
  • Hi Brubber,

1. Client OS

Both WIFI and Gbit LAN

Hope this helps...

Michael.

Just to make sure you are up-to-date, what are the component numbers shown in the Console (Settings button, Resources tab)?  How did you copy the data to the server (to the UNC path or some other method)?  What tool did you use to copy the data (i.e. Windows Explorer)?  When you say "The data itself is not corrupt (thankfully), I have been able to copy everything off using a direct attached USB HDD", do you mean that the problem is only if you play a file directly from the server through the shares (and not if you copy the same file through the server desktop to a USB drive, then disconnect that drive from the server and connect it to the same client that you used to play the file through the shares)?

Component numbers are all 6.0.2030.2.

I copied the data using either explorer or cmd line with robocopy, and I did copy it to the \\WHS\sharedfolders UNC path. My WHS was the central data store, however I like to have a copy locally of some things on my laptop, or media center PC, so I have copied my movies and music files from to WHS the media center for example (using robocopy). I noticed the problem when I went to play a movie and it wouldn't play at all. Using media player I tried to play the same file and WMP would freeze for while then either error saying the file was corrupt, or it wouldn't play back correctly (ie no sound, or no vid).

The reason for using the USB drive was simply I had no way of getting the data off WHS without doing this.

Saturday, August 22, 2009 2:32 AM
  • I ran a CHKDSK /R /X on both the C and D drive this morning and it took a while but did not report back any errors. I have since tried copying the files from WHS again and it appears that the problem has disappeared.  I know I might sound stupid, but this doesn't make sense and I can say that nothing else has changed.

When I orginally built the WHS, I had four HDD connected.. Two SATA and two IDE... I orginally thought this was the problem, and so i had since removed the two IDE drives from WHS using the WHS console. However even after doing this I still had the same problem, hence the reason why I didn't mention this initially.

Could this have caused the problem?

Does WHS support having different types of drives attached?

Do all drives need to be of comparable speed?

I will try and do some more testing over the weekend, but the fact that the problem has just disappeared and nothing has changed makes me suspicious.

Saturday, August 22, 2009 2:41 AM
  • I ran a CHKDSK /R /X on both the C and D drive this morning and it took a while but did not report back any errors. I have since tried copying the files from WHS again and it appears that the problem has disappeared.  I know I might sound stupid, but this doesn't make sense and I can say that nothing else has changed.

When I orginally built the WHS, I had four HDD connected.. Two SATA and two IDE... I orginally thought this was the problem, and so i had since removed the two IDE drives from WHS using the WHS console. However even after doing this I still had the same problem, hence the reason why I didn't mention this initially.

Could this have caused the problem?

Not normally (I have 2 PATA and 1 SATA drive and it works fine).

Does WHS support having different types of drives attached?

Yep.

Do all drives need to be of comparable speed?

No.

I will try and do some more testing over the weekend, but the fact that the problem has just disappeared and nothing has changed makes me suspicious.

Saturday, August 22, 2009 5:33 AM
  • i just had this problem over the weekend... turned out one of my sata drives checked out permanently.  Apparently if the drive crashes... whs works fine around it... if the controller dies (which is what mine did) causes the whole system to get unstable.  Might be work checking out... Check out the system event viewer for clues.
    • Proposed as answer by DrX69 Monday, September 14, 2009 5:49 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2009 5:49 PM