Which backup restores the system backed up? RRS feed

• Question

• I've looked through all the help files in WHS, which are generally pretty good, but I still can't figure out one basic thing.  If I want to restore all the files that include the latest backup, which backups do I choose?  Obviously I would choose the latest one at least, but do I have to restore the rest too?  Or will restoring the last one be sufficient?

For example.  I migrated a WHS system to a new host machine.  I backed up all the user files on a USB drive and reattached the drive to the new host and restored the latest backup from the menu once I had the Console recognize the backup drive using the wizard. (very nice!)  Am I done?  I hate to look through all the files to figure it out that way and still get it wrong.

And in addition.  What about all the old backups on the old installation?  How do I migrate them?  I pretty much wrote them off, thinking that all the clients that I have are where I want them and I don't care if I lose old backups.  But strictly speaking, I should be able to migrate those backups to a new host if I want to.  How do I do that?
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 6:09 PM

Answers

• pksky said:

I've looked through all the help files in WHS, which are generally pretty good, but I still can't figure out one basic thing.  If I want to restore all the files that include the latest backup, which backups do I choose?  Obviously I would choose the latest one at least, but do I have to restore the rest too?  Or will restoring the last one be sufficient?

The last one is all you need.  All previous backups are part of the latest backup (assuming you didn't delete any files from your server between backups).

pksky said:

For example.  I migrated a WHS system to a new host machine.  I backed up all the user files on a USB drive and reattached the drive to the new host and restored the latest backup from the menu once I had the Console recognize the backup drive using the wizard. (very nice!)  Am I done?  I hate to look through all the files to figure it out that way and still get it wrong.

Yep, that's it.

pksky said:

And in addition.  What about all the old backups on the old installation?  How do I migrate them?  I pretty much wrote them off, thinking that all the clients that I have are where I want them and I don't care if I lose old backups.  But strictly speaking, I should be able to migrate those backups to a new host if I want to.  How do I do that?

While you can move the backup database, it's not very simple.  It would be easier to just let the old one go and start over.  Having said that, if you still want to proceed, you can either follow the directions in the Home Computer Backup Technical Brief, or use the BDBB add-in (which basically automates the process).

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, March 6, 2009 4:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by pksky Friday, March 6, 2009 4:09 PM
    Friday, March 6, 2009 4:42 AM

All replies

• pksky said:

I've looked through all the help files in WHS, which are generally pretty good, but I still can't figure out one basic thing.  If I want to restore all the files that include the latest backup, which backups do I choose?  Obviously I would choose the latest one at least, but do I have to restore the rest too?  Or will restoring the last one be sufficient?

The last one is all you need.  All previous backups are part of the latest backup (assuming you didn't delete any files from your server between backups).

pksky said:

Yep, that's it.

pksky said:

While you can move the backup database, it's not very simple.  It would be easier to just let the old one go and start over.  Having said that, if you still want to proceed, you can either follow the directions in the Home Computer Backup Technical Brief, or use the BDBB add-in (which basically automates the process).

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, March 6, 2009 4:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by pksky Friday, March 6, 2009 4:09 PM
    Friday, March 6, 2009 4:42 AM
  • Thanks again kariya21.  That's it.
    Friday, March 6, 2009 4:10 PM