WLW changes file extension in code for images

• This now happened twice to me and I have no idea why:

1. D'n'd'ed several JPEGs into a blog post

2. After finishing the post, incl. categories, I hit Publish

3. I get an error message 'Blog doesn't support picture upload' [which is not true]

4. The very first pic shown has a PNG extension

5. Looking into the source code I see the very first pic with a PNG extension

6. Changing the extension in the code

7. Publishing works

The pic in question is - unquestionable - a JPEG, the error message I get is clearly only half true in that it should tell me that WLW cannot find a certain file [as, we remember, the file is Name.JPG not Name.PNG]. But why on earth is WLW changing the extension in the code in the first place?

Dierk Haasis
    [DH² Publishing]
    Writing and Imaging

Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Breeze DownloaderPro, Capture NX2, xMedia2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:51 PM

All replies

• As a recommendation, I’d NEVER paste images in to Windows Live Writer without using a plug-in, or loading the image locally/manually as a JPG, because Windows Live Writer pastes all images as a PNG [doubling the size of any normal JPG].

Using the native PASTE functions, and getting/using PNG files, the blog entries will be larger in size, use more bandwidth and blog sites will load slower. All of which are bad...

I think you should try something like CLIPBOARD LIVE.

Hope this helps.

Monday, March 22, 2010 3:24 AM
  • Hm, how come the files themselves are all JPG, even those created by WLW/Wordpress? Actually my problem as described is, well, not exactly the opposite but still quite different: I have JPGs, only WLW sometimes codes one [the first] as a PNG.

Nevertheless, will be looking into  plug-ins.

Dierk Haasis
    [DH² Publishing]
    Writing and Imaging

Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX2, IDimager, Adobe Creative Suite 3
    Monday, March 22, 2010 1:45 PM
  • I understood your question, but felt answer would be able to help you understand what Windows Live Writer does in the background.

My guess/opinion is that Windows Live Writer maybe trying to outsmart you... trying to 'HELP' automatically; as it does when trying to code manually with it..

Just trying to help...

Monday, March 22, 2010 5:19 PM