Microsoft Money - Overwritten back up RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Microsoft Money installed from Works Suite 2004 in Windows XP. I used to back up on a Floppy Disk but changed to backing up on my hard drive. I recently re-built my hard drive and tried to restore my last back up dated December 2010 to my re-installed Money programme.

However, it seems that I have overwritten this back up as it has restored all my tranactions and records from 2004 to January 2010 only.This means I have lost all of my inputted tranactions  from January 2010 to December 2010 which has caused me huge problems.

I have tried to locate the info via  various .mny and .mbf searches but to no avail.  Does this mean I have lost this date for good or can I recover it? 

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 11:34 PM

All replies

• I am sorry to hear of your situation. I have no good news for you.

I suggest you get the download data from your financial institutions as soon as possible, because you can typically only get data back only a certain amount of time. The time varies, but sooner is better. After you have downloaded as much as possible, make a compensating transaction in each account to make up for the missing data.

If you move to Money Plus Sunset, it will create multiple versions of backup files. It also can do the scheduled backups to a USB flash drive. I am confident that you are already rethinking your backup policy.

Thursday, January 6, 2011 12:42 AM
  • Many thanks for your extremely fast reply.I can and will make adjustments as I have manual records.

I was just curious if there was any recovery software out there which would enable me to locate the overwritten data or if I could recover from an old Temp file?

Gary Wakeling
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 3:08 PM