7B stop error while reinstalling WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have been running WHS without issue for close to a year now. I am running it on my own hardware, using a SiiG SATA controller as well as the built-in mobo SATA controller (VIA). This has worked fine for me during all of the betas. I just bought the OEM install and tried to install tonight.

When I installed, none of the drives were recognized at first but all of them were after I loaded the other storage drivers. I have 4 hard drives: a 400 GB Western Digital, and 3 320GB seagate drives. The 400GB hard drive is the primary drive. The install recognized an existing install and gave me the option to do a server reinstallation. I chose that option per upgrade instructions (so that I can keep all of our data) and the setup continued. Once the server rebooted for the first time, and then headed into the text mode of the setup I got the message to press F6 to load additional drivers, which I pressed repeatedly. After that it says to press F2 to do ASR, and then before giving me the chance to load the other drivers I get the BSOD STOP: 0x0000007B error.

I know this means that the MBR cannot be found, and it is most likely a storage driver issue. That said, I have tried to reboot many times, push F6 over and over and I never make it to the screen to let me load drivers before I get the STOP error. I never get the chance to give it the drivers it needs.

I tried to go back through the install process (the initial GUI portion), the drives once again appear after loading the storage drivers, but now a server reinstallation is not an option, only a new installation (which deletes our data) because it is now a half-baked installation, so I cancelled out of that and am back in the same position.

I am at the point where I am most concerned with getting all of our data back. We have about 600GB of all of our photos, music, and backups. I have no other backups of this data and need to find a way to get access to this data and copy it onto another machine. At that point I can try and do a fresh install and then just copy everything back over.

I have read through every WHS forum post and link with 0x0000007B in it and none of the options have worked for me. Does anybody have any ideas? Can anyone point me in a direction for a good recovery CD? I can copy to other machines over a network if I need to.

Any help is extremely appreciated.
    Tuesday, April 1, 2008 6:53 AM

Answers

• To reinstall with a minimum of pain (not no pain, once your installation is at the point where you aren't allowed the reinstall option any more you're past that point):
    1. Disconnect all but your system drive.
    2. Install WHS.
    3. Connect one other drive, preferably a new one that's as large as the largest drive in your server.
    4. Add it to the storage pool.
    5. Connect one of your data drives, but don't add it to the pool.
    6. Copy all the files from that data drive to the shares via the link on the server desktop.
    7. Once all the files are copied, add the data drive to the storage pool.
    8. Later, rinse, repeat for your other data drives.
    If you don't have/can't buy another empty drive, choose one of your data drives with less space used than you have free on your system drive. Then start at step 5. above.
    Tuesday, April 1, 2008 1:29 PM

All replies

• To reinstall with a minimum of pain (not no pain, once your installation is at the point where you aren't allowed the reinstall option any more you're past that point):
    1. Disconnect all but your system drive.
    2. Install WHS.
    3. Connect one other drive, preferably a new one that's as large as the largest drive in your server.
    4. Add it to the storage pool.
    5. Connect one of your data drives, but don't add it to the pool.
    6. Copy all the files from that data drive to the shares via the link on the server desktop.
    7. Once all the files are copied, add the data drive to the storage pool.
    8. Later, rinse, repeat for your other data drives.
    If you don't have/can't buy another empty drive, choose one of your data drives with less space used than you have free on your system drive. Then start at step 5. above.
    Tuesday, April 1, 2008 1:29 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. Just to make sure I understand right, let me run this past you with my actual hardware.

I currently have (before the reinstall) a 400GB drive as the primary drive that the OS is on. I then have three other 320GB drives that are used in the storage pool (also pre-reinstall). I would:
       (1) disconnect the 3 320 GB drives, leaving only the 400GB system drive, and get (2) WHS installed on the first drive. Once it is loaded, (3) connect a new drive (one larger than my other drives, say 500GB, and add it to the (4) storage pool. (5) Connect one of my data drives from before the reinstall, but don't add it to the storage pool. (6) Copy files from the drive onto the new drive (that has been allocated to the storage pool). (7) Add the drive whose files have now been copied to the storage pool, to the storage pool. (8) Rinse/repeat for other drives.

I know I am mostly repeating what you said above, but I just want to make sure that will still work even though server reinstallation is not an option at this point. I would effectively disconnect all drives but the one 400gb primary OS drive and do a new install on it, then reconnect one at a time the drives with my files and copy the files over as you mention, before adding them back to the storage pool?

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 1:55 PM
  • Hi,

That's right, you just move the files off the non-pooled drive to a share on the pooled drive, prior to adding that no empty non-pooled drive to the pool and repeat 'till your fed up!

Colin

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 4:51 PM
  • I have a similar problem.  I purchased a new 1Tb drive, installed it in my machine (removed all other drives), ran WHS setup.  When the machine reboots, I get some DOS looking windows saying that setup is starting, then BSOD.  Stop Error 7B.  I'm starting fresh so there's no old files to move at this point. 

I've placed the new (1Tb) drive in my machine as a second drive and booted my original drive up on XP.  I can see the second drive and all the files. Not sure what's missing.  My new computer specs are:

1TB drive is a Samsung HD103UJ
    Dell XPS 400
    ATI X600 video card
    3GB RAM

I pulled everythin else out.  Updated BIOS to the most recent version.  I can't seem to find drivers for the new drive, but that is what I'm searching for now, though I'm not sure it will help.

Can anyone help?
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 3:52 PM
  • I found a suggestion on how to fix this here...
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/whshardware/thread/fd834db0-9f51-422f-8e29-0f96eec89c51

It appears to be working.  Installation is continuing at the moment.  Here's what I did...

Per Olaf's suggestion, I changed the mode of your SATA controller in the Bios to IDE (ATA/PATA) instead of RAID or AHCI.  This seems to have worked for now.  I will post back if it does not fix the problem completely.
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 5:44 PM