Send email to custom entities RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello,

We created a custom entity in CRM 4.0, called "Candidates", and added a field named "Candidate Email", with Type=nvarchar and Format=Email

I need to create a workflow to send emails to all candidates based on specific criteria. However, I am not able to fill the "To" field of the Email Template with the "Candidate Email". The only available Email entries are the ones for Leads, Contacts and Accounts.

Can you please advise on the best approach to resolve this issue?

Thanks -

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:29 PM

All replies

• Hello Fady,

“TO” and ”FROM” fields in email can be filled only with Lead, Contact, Account or User.

So you cannot populate “TO” of “FROM” fields by attribute from custom entity by workflow.

We had similar problem, where we needed to send an email to custom entity called Demonstrator, and we solved it using custom plug-in which created temporary contact with email and name from Demonstrator custom entity and then adding this new contact in “TO” field in email. Also in the regarding field of email we inserted lookup to Demonstrator entity.  After sending an email plug-in deletes newly created contact.

This solved our problem, but someone maybe knows some different workaround.

Vladimir

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:58 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Vladimir.

This seems a bit complicated as a workaround, yet we'll give it a try.

I can't understand the reason why we have the option to create custom email fields if we cannot use them to send emails!

Anyway, ... we'll check your suggestion.

Thanks,
    Fady -
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:48 PM
  • Its definitely a shortfall in the product. The simplest solution is to use Contacts for candidates and have a contact type or contact tickbox.

Leon Tribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog

http://leontribe.blogspot.com/

or hear me tweet @leontribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog http://leontribe.blogspot.com/ or hear me tweet @leontribe
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 10:49 AM