Windows Genuine Validation failed RRS feed

• Question

• I am US citizen visiting relatives in Philippines. They have very limited computer knowledge ... only know how to web surf, use Facebook, etc.. They bought their computer 2 or 3 years ago with Windows XP Pro. They do not have the installation cd. I found Firewall off, updates off, no antivirus. I decided to correct this. When I started Microsoft updates, the system was at SP2. When the validation tool was installed I got the message "you may be a victim of software counterfeiting". After reading threads in this forum I now know this copy of Windows XP is a "Volume license key" that has been blocked. With updates I installed, it is still at SP2.

My question is: how I can "fix" this without having to flaten and reload everything. It looks like if I can purchase a new licence, I can try the "Key update tool" ... AM I correct here? I have not looked for where I can purchase a new key online, yet.

If that does not work, if I can find a "legal" copy of WinXP Pro, could I try a "repair" install? If the Key update tool might work, I'd first try to find a new install CD so I could use the license, expecting I would be paying the same either way.

Or, can I upgrade to Windows 7 via an upgrade path? ( not having the original install CD.) I did use a utility to find the Product ID and Product Key.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:26 AM

Answers

• Hello Traveler,

You wrote, "Related to my 1st and 2nd question from original post.... I have two legal copies of WinXP Pro at home in Washington state that are not loaded on any computer at this time. Would it work if I ship one here and use the "key update tool" using the key from my legal copy? ( I was under assumption there was something about the product ID that indicated the region and that if I tried to use one of my copies, it would not work?"

Assuming the legal copies of XP Pro are full retail copies and not OEM, Volume, or Upgrade retail, and assuming as you mentioned that these licenses are no longer in service on any computer, the Product Key Updater might be able to "genuine-ize" the current nongenuine installation into a genuine installation.  It all depends upon the integrity of the system files now on the computer--if the Updater sees good files, then it will update; if it sees corrupted or hacked/compromised files, it won't update.

If you are able to genuinize as above without having to format and do a clean installation, that does get Windows legal but it does not address:

1.  The fact that there is a nongenuine Office installation on the computer

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 103 Blocked VLK
    Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 - 103 Blocked VLK

and..

2.  The very real possibility that malware might have been introduced onto the computer when the bootleg Windows installation was done or afterwards while being operated with no firewall or antivirus to speak of.

If you can get the discs, IMO the best course of action is to repartition, reformat, and clean installation.

Added:  I concur with Noel that your copy of XP Pro purchased in the USA will not have any sort of Geo-block (regional restriction on the license).

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:47 PM
  • Thanks again. I noticed the MS office blocked when I did the copy for this forum. After talking more about the computer with the owners, I found I was wrong about how long they've had it. It has only been around 1 year. I'll be here another week and plan on having them take me to the store they bought the computer so I can get the name and address of the business. I will politely ask them about using Genuine Microsoft products .... maybe if they are reputable, they will give or load good copies of WinXP and MS Office.

If they do not provide any support .... I'll report them to Microsoft and try to use one of my Win XP copies, and buy a copy of Office 2010. ( I plan on reporting them either way! )

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:48 PM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:57 PM

All replies

• In order for us to analyze and troubleshoot a non-genuine notification issue you may be experiencing, please download and run the   Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool.

After running the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button, then Paste the report into your post.  Also, please include a brief question or pertinent background information that would be helpful in our endeavor to assist you.

Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:24 AM
  • "Traveler on VAC" wrote in message news:63531565-b541-4239-9499-713066c4bafe...

I am US citizen visiting relatives in Philippines. They have very limited computer knowledge ... only know how to web surf, use Facebook, etc.. They bought their computer 2 or 3 years ago with Windows XP Pro. They do not have the installation cd. I found Firewall off, updates off, no antivirus. I decided to correct this. When I started Microsoft updates, the system was at SP2. When the validation tool was installed I got the message "you may be a victim of software counterfeiting". After reading threads in this forum I now know this copy of Windows XP is a "Volume license key" that has been blocked. With updates I installed, it is still at SP2.

My question is: how I can "fix" this without having to flaten and reload everything. It looks like if I can purchase a new licence, I can try the "Key update tool" ... AM I correct here? I have not looked for where I can purchase a new key online, yet.

If that does not work, if I can find a "legal" copy of WinXP Pro, could I try a "repair" install? If the Key update tool might work, I'd first try to find a new install CD so I could use the license, expecting I would be paying the same either way.

Or, can I upgrade to Windows 7 via an upgrade path? ( not having the original install CD.) I did use a utility to find the Product ID and Product Key.

IF the computer has a COA Sticker on it for XP Pro, you may be lucky – if it’s for XP Home, or non-existent, then you’re SOL.
    The over-riding need is for a valid Key – and that comes only from either the OEM’s recovery disks or from the COA sticker.
    If you do an MGADiag report, we can confirm the Volume Key, and give you some pointers.
    If there is no valid Key available, then you’d have to purchase a Full Retail Win 7 , and do a clean install (after backing up all data to external media) if the machine can take it – run the UPgrade Advisor to check that first.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:27 PM
  • Hello Traveler,

If the message telling you that the current installation of Windows XP Pro is nongenuine has an option to "Get Genuine", follow that option as this is generally the most economical way to put a genuine Windows 7 installation on this computer.  The choices presented will be localized to the country you are in, and such localizations are intended to produce the best result for those people.

If there is no such option to Get Genuine offered, enter www.microsoftstore.com into your browser to see if Microsoft's online store is offered to the Philippines.  If so, purchase a full retail license for the edition of Windows 7 that best meets the needs of your relatives.

If the online Microsoft Store is not offered there, then you can purchase the product from a well-established, major retail store.  Best to avoid street vendors and other less than ideal sources to avoid the possibility of getting counterfeit software.  If time permits, ask someone back in the States to buy from a major retailer in the States and send that copy from the States to your relatives, that way you can be assured that it is genuine.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:39 PM
  • Thank you all for your input. I believe I gave pertinent background information and 3 questions in my original post.

From the replies so far, .....

1. There is not a COA sticker on the computer case. ... So there is another sign of foul play by the store that sold the computer.

2. The message I get when I follow the troubleshooting link is; Enter a Genuine Windows Product Key: The Product Key used to activate Windows on your PC is a volume license keythat has been blocked by Microsoft. It also gives the option to option to purchase Windows 7.

3. From other reading and here, I found there is not an upgrade path from WinXP to Windows  7. This requires flaten and reload.

Related to my 1st and 2nd question from original post.... I have two legal copies of WinXP Pro at home in Washington state that are not loaded on any computer at this time. Would it work if I ship one here and use the "key update tool" using the key from my legal copy? ( I was under assumption there was something about the product ID that indicated the region and that if I tried to use one of my copies, it would not work?

Here is the MGA information:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Validation Code: 3
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-8F8G4-TPG8M-4Q67Y
    Windows Product Key Hash: Csd6k5ZhDIfYIqppW5EHykFgwRs=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-648-2323245-23451
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {8BA42FBD-DA3D-4A31-87F4-CFCDD727870C}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: FCEE394C-458-80041002_025D1FF3-344-80041002_025D1FF3-229-80041002_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-458-80041002_025D1FF3-344-80041002_025D1FF3-229-80041002_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{8BA42FBD-DA3D-4A31-87F4-CFCDD727870C}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-4Q67Y</PKey><PID>55274-648-2323245-23451</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-117609710-1532298954-725345543</SID><SYSTEM/><BIOS/><HWID>FC7033F701848064</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Dateline Standard Time(GMT-12:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>103</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90120000-0030-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>103</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>ACD7202654E586</Val><Hash>fFic3JgCreGGRxyF8uMWB4R4Jcg=</Hash><Pid>89388-707-1528066-65770</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="44" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="A1" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="BA" Version="12" Result="103"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: no
    Marker string from BIOS: N/A
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

-------------------------------------

Thanks again!

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:26 PM
  • "Traveler on VAC" wrote in message news:b7665586-bd23-47a4-a66f-6b794d69f7a5...

Thank you all for your input. I believe I gave pertinent background information and 3 questions in my original post.

From the replies so far, .....

1. There is not a COA sticker on the computer case. ... So there is another sign of foul play by the store that sold the computer.

2. The message I get when I follow the troubleshooting link is; Enter a Genuine Windows Product Key: The Product Key used to activate Windows on your PC is a volume license keythat has been blocked by Microsoft. It also gives the option to option to purchase Windows 7.

3. From other reading and here, I found there is not an upgrade path from WinXP to Windows  7. This requires flaten and reload.

Related to my 1st and 2nd question from original post.... I have two legal copies of WinXP Pro at home in Washington state that are not loaded on any computer at this time. Would it work if I ship one here and use the "key update tool" using the key from my legal copy? ( I was under assumption there was something about the product ID that indicated the region and that if I tried to use one of my copies, it would not work?

Here is the MGA information:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Validation Code: 3
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-8F8G4-TPG8M-4Q67Y
    Windows Product Key Hash: Csd6k5ZhDIfYIqppW5EHykFgwRs=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-648-2323245-23451
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro

OGA Data-->

Other data-->
    SYSTEM/><BIOS/

-------------------------------------

Thanks again!

Your expectation of a Volume license is confirmed – note that the installation of Office on this PC is also counterfeit, being based on a Blocked Volume License Key.

Copies of Windows XP bought in the US are generally not Geo-Blocked (in the way that copies purchased in poorer areas of the world may be, to allow the lower price). I believe that the packaging would specify any blocking present.

You may be able to use the Windows XP Key from one of those packs to genuine-ise the current installation by using the Product Key Update Tool http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/help/genuine/product-key

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:42 PM
  • Hello Traveler,

You wrote, "Related to my 1st and 2nd question from original post.... I have two legal copies of WinXP Pro at home in Washington state that are not loaded on any computer at this time. Would it work if I ship one here and use the "key update tool" using the key from my legal copy? ( I was under assumption there was something about the product ID that indicated the region and that if I tried to use one of my copies, it would not work?"

Assuming the legal copies of XP Pro are full retail copies and not OEM, Volume, or Upgrade retail, and assuming as you mentioned that these licenses are no longer in service on any computer, the Product Key Updater might be able to "genuine-ize" the current nongenuine installation into a genuine installation.  It all depends upon the integrity of the system files now on the computer--if the Updater sees good files, then it will update; if it sees corrupted or hacked/compromised files, it won't update.

If you are able to genuinize as above without having to format and do a clean installation, that does get Windows legal but it does not address:

1.  The fact that there is a nongenuine Office installation on the computer

OGA Data-->

and..

2.  The very real possibility that malware might have been introduced onto the computer when the bootleg Windows installation was done or afterwards while being operated with no firewall or antivirus to speak of.

If you can get the discs, IMO the best course of action is to repartition, reformat, and clean installation.

Added:  I concur with Noel that your copy of XP Pro purchased in the USA will not have any sort of Geo-block (regional restriction on the license).

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:47 PM
  • Thanks again. I noticed the MS office blocked when I did the copy for this forum. After talking more about the computer with the owners, I found I was wrong about how long they've had it. It has only been around 1 year. I'll be here another week and plan on having them take me to the store they bought the computer so I can get the name and address of the business. I will politely ask them about using Genuine Microsoft products .... maybe if they are reputable, they will give or load good copies of WinXP and MS Office.

If they do not provide any support .... I'll report them to Microsoft and try to use one of my Win XP copies, and buy a copy of Office 2010. ( I plan on reporting them either way! )

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:48 PM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:57 PM