none
How can I contact you to abolish a leaked genuine key? RRS feed

• Question

• Long and funny story...I went to enjoy my vacation in Europe early February, so I left my lately purchased Dell XPS 1730 at my nephew's. He is a computer geek and a...not so good kid...you know. He kind of activated his computer with the key sticker on the back of my XPS, which is a Windows Vista Ultimate OEM 32bit version. I didn't discover this until yesterday when I needed to do a reinstallation but I couldn't just format the partition because I got too many useful files stored there. After the install, activation windows popped up, asked for a key to be entered. I typed in the sticker key, but it said the key is not valid for activation. I called the phone activation, the automated voice told me that the key is already activated with another computer... I've never touched it even... After a phonecall to my nephew, he admitted the trick... he didn't have a ultimate version so he thinks it would be cool to have one...

I need to know if I can contact Microsoft with my information to deactivate or abolish that key and get a new one? Or will my key just get gone for this?

I really don't expect my genuine key vanished this way...  

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 1:23 AM

Answers

•  

Hello LandSight,

Fortunatly, Banning the key will not be necassary. All you need to do is ensure the key is no longer being used in your nephew's computer (or anyone elses computer). You can then use that key in your Dell XPS (nice computer, by the way, I have the XPS 1530). When you try to activate, call up the activation call center again, but this time, when the Automated Voice comes on, do not input or say anything. This should force the voice to connect you to a Live Activation Rep. Just tell them the story and they should provide an Override Activation for you (Just make sure that you stress that the key has been removed for your nephew's computer and that it is only being used on the computer that it originally came with).

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:04 PM

All replies

•  

Hello LandSight,

Fortunatly, Banning the key will not be necassary. All you need to do is ensure the key is no longer being used in your nephew's computer (or anyone elses computer). You can then use that key in your Dell XPS (nice computer, by the way, I have the XPS 1530). When you try to activate, call up the activation call center again, but this time, when the Automated Voice comes on, do not input or say anything. This should force the voice to connect you to a Live Activation Rep. Just tell them the story and they should provide an Override Activation for you (Just make sure that you stress that the key has been removed for your nephew's computer and that it is only being used on the computer that it originally came with).

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:04 PM
  •  

Thanks! Darin,

I got contact with one Live Activation Rep, a nice lady by the way, and told her the whole story. She gave me the activation numbers, so I hit in my XPS. Vista gets genuine again!

However, I was too busy recording the numbers and forgot to ask her some questions. So I have to post here for another time with several questions to clear. My nephew had promised to delete the whole system, but he also remembered back when I was on vacation, he called several friends to come over e njoying my new XPS [I agree with you very much, Darin. I did plan to buy a 1530 but my time was not right, Dell had to make me wait for some time for a lack of supply. That's why I decide to cash up on the 1730. Really worth it!]

Nevertheless, THEY work together to copy that key...with one reading, one typing, and another two checking if they did it right...naughty boys huh...while with much intelligence. That is to say, four possibly knows the key...I heard that even someone came up with a camera taking a shot of the key to make it more comfortable to read.

I know things of this kind is not rare, at least several friends of mine ever experienced that. I don't blame the boys for their innocence and curiosity. But there is one thing I wanna know...What will happen if any one of them used my key to activate their copies of Vista?

I hate to have my XPS gets not-genuine again...I really really suggest Microsoft to take another way of distributing the keys by pasting it to a manual book or even within a shipping box instead of sticking it on the bottom or any side of the computer. That is way too risky...

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:00 AM
  •  LandSight wrote:

Nevertheless, THEY work together to copy that key...with one reading, one typing, and another two checking if they did it right...naughty boys huh...while with much intelligence. That is to say, four possibly knows the key...I heard that even someone came up with a camera taking a shot of the key to make it more comfortable to read.

I know things of this kind is not rare, at least several friends of mine ever experienced that. I don't blame the boys for their innocence and curiosity. But there is one thing I wanna know...What will happen if any one of them used my key to activate their copies of Vista?

LOL.  They took a camera shot of the COA and the boys possibly just happen to remember it off the top of their head?  Or are you saying they each individually wrote it down as they were typing it?

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 5:45 PM
  • Hi Landsight,

Well, the first line of defence is that the Keys found on the side of a computer (we call them COA SLP keys) can only be activated by phone and only a Live Activation Rep can provide an Override Activation (after confirming the user is using the key within the User Licensing Agreement).

And lastly, if the key is seen listed on any Websites or if the key is Activated/Re-activated excessivly, the key will be put on a block list and any computer using that key will be unable to Re-activate and will Validate as Non-Genuine. (if this does happens, I would suggest garnishing your nephew's allowence to buy you a new copy of Vista   )

Thanks,

Darin

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 7:15 PM
  •  

Darin,

Now I know what to expect to the worst and what to do in the worst.

In that worst case, I will definitely take your suggestion.

Great thanks to you for your really quick and very informative replies. Have a nice day!

Thursday, March 20, 2008 12:43 AM
  •  

dosen't vista have a new feature if windows comes up with an abused key "reduced functionality mode or something?" were you can only use windows for an 1hr and on use IE7
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:53 AM