synch files on two different computers RRS feed

• Question

• I just downloaded synch toy 2.0   I have two computers, one lap top and one desk top both running vista home premium 64 bit with sp1.   I want to synch the documents on both also outlook ...I cannot seem to figure out how to create a relationship between two different computers....they are both connected on my wireless network....what is the simplest waty to set this up....how do I create a folder pair on two different computers???? do I try to browse to the one computer that i am not on over the network...I installed synch toy on both...thank you

Friday, December 26, 2008 10:47 PM

All replies

• ok...I see the network in the choices...I set it up but when I try it, it starts and then after a while I get the message, "Exception, Failed to Detect changes"...what am I doing wrong?????I right clicked on the folders and set them to be shared.....a stepp by step would be helpful 

Saturday, December 27, 2008 12:10 AM
  • Ok now when I try to set up the pair I get this message " I do not have permission...ask server administrator to give me permission"   Here is my set up....two computers...one desk top one lap top...I can see them listed in the wireless network....The lap top is called MICHAELSIMON-PC and Michael Simonov is listed as the administrator.  The desk top is listed as MICHAELDSKTP-PC  and the administrator is listed as Michael....I went to start on the lap top....my computer and clicked on the folder to try to set correct but I am lost as to what to type in????

Saturday, December 27, 2008 12:49 AM
  •  

SyncToy itself does not know about networks, wireless etc. It knows only what file system knows: files, directories (possibly remote) and permissions to access them. First you must set up your pc's and laptop to see each other files/directories. Once you can see them and use them in Window Explorer, you are ready to use SyncToy.
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 2:07 PM
  • Right,

You can set up syncToy to run on one computer,

set up a local folder for sync, then

create a share on other computer for sync, and set the right permissions, such as read and write.

then try to create a folder pair and sync between local folder and remote share.

Sunday, December 28, 2008 9:41 PM
    Answerer