Automatic backup don't work RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have just rebuilt my computer from scratch and since now, it not able to make an automatic backup, but the function backup now work perfectly.

I rebuilt my computer because of some bad noise from my hard drive with a new one. I give my computer a new name to be able to backup-it and keep the backup of my old hard drive on my server just to be sure the fresh installation is ok.

My question is why my fresh installation do not make automatic backup during the night like before?

-          Wake this computer for backup is active

-          My computer is on sleep during the night

-          The connector troubleshooter give me this error message:  “The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home Server. Make sure you are installing the correct version of the Connector software.” My old pc has the same issue but the automatic backup work perfectly.

-          On event viewer I have this message: “Windows Home Server protocol mismatch. This computer uses protocol version 6.0.1800.24, but partner computer MEDIASERVER uses protocol version 6.0.1800.0. A connection cannot be established.” I have the same message on my old pc too.

I would like to know if is possible the automatic backup don’t work because I keep the old data of my previous pc on my server?

I have no idea why is not working anymore!

Thanks for your help!

P.S. Excuse-me for my bad English.

Monday, January 26, 2009 3:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I had the same issue after installing Windows Home Server update KB957825. Rebooting the server and running discovery.exe on the client did help, (also uninstalling and later reinstalling the above patch on the server). The problem appeared two more times and is now gone.

Is your Windows Home Server a self built machine or a OEM device? In case it is an OEM system (i.e. Scaleo or MediaSmart) check for the latest versions of their Add-Ins (since the older versions may hook resources and cause other trouble). Do you get any error message or warning during the installation of the Connector software from the software share or via Website http://server:55000?

The difference between the versions mentioned by the software can be a normal behavior, since the troubleshooter does not take the fact, that not all WHS components got updated version numbers during the last patches. But anyway check also the dates of the files in \\server\software\home server connector (for the msi files they should be end of October) and the version numbers on the console in Settings/Resources (should have .24 as sub version number for the components besides console and remote access).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, January 26, 2009 6:22 PM
  • Have you installed the Connector software from your Software folder on the server? You can navigate to that folder via the web browser and download it to your client. Then install the new Connector that way. Your server has the new version since you have automatic updates on but the old version is on the original disk.

Just a thought.

PACS Technical Support Engineer
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:29 AM
  •  

My automatic backup has working last night.  I have a UPS on my system controlled by Vista. I have decided to unplug the USB cable and everything is working now.  I found this discussion about this problem:  http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/ef959698-1732-4f7b-a278-96bf2118fecb/

I have installed the APC PowerChute software and everything works perfectly.

• Marked as answer by Designer67 Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:39 PM
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:37 PM