remote access to a whs v1 through a Quest zytel pk5000z Modem/wireless g/wired 100meg router with a dlink dir-825. Wireless N/ wired 1gig router RRS feed

• Question

• Good Day

I would like to turn the zytel pk5000z into just a modem and turn off any router function that it has.  It is inferior to the dlink dir-825 that I had when I was on comcast. 

I have a 192.168.1.1 subnet with the dlink and it gets its internet access from the zytel pk5000z (which has a 192.168.0.1 subnet. 

As you can imagine the home server has issues with this and I have not had any luck getting port forwarding to work through the zytel so far. 

Any thoughts on how I can make this set up work with remote access again.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:45 PM

All replies

• Forward Ports from your outer device (closest to the Internet) to the IP address of the inner router. On the inner router forward the necessary ports to your Server (assuming that the Server is located on its subnet). Use ShieldsUp at www.grc.com to confirm that the ports are open and forwarded correctly.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:56 PM