none
Cloning a Hard Disk/ Copying an Operating System. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I have one Hard Disk set aside for the occasional use of an older (but expensive) program that runs under DOS 6.21. The Disk is now starting to "whine and groan" and I am afraid that it may fail soon.

I no longer have the 3.5" Diskette Drive "A" that was originally used to install the Program and O.S., so I want to Clone or Copy  the Operating System DOS 6.21 on to another Hard Disk ( now empty of files).  The new disk has to be designated "C" drive otherwise DOS will not work and I could re-install the program later.  The current Disk that I am using right now for Windows 10 is already designated as Drive "C" and I have not yet tried to change its Drive Letter. I have already tried simply copying the DOS files to the New Hard Disk but this does not result in me being able to get the Computer to Boot-up into DOS. How do I do this transfer? 

D.

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 12:27 AM

Answers

• System backup ? 

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-make-full-backup-windows-10

If not, then you'll probably need to use a 3rd party app to clone the disk completely. 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Dav777 Thursday, January 4, 2018 3:10 PM
    Tuesday, January 2, 2018 1:05 AM
  • Hi,

Is DOS 6.21 and the old programs installed in the one Hard Disk?
    If yes, please purchase 3rd party software that can create/restore an image of partition/drive. I am using (Acronis) TrueImage for about 10 years. 

I guess the total size of MS-DOS and your program is less than 1 GB. You can make its image and save it into USB flash memory. After creating the partition image, you can restore it to a new HDD and execute the program on MS-DOS anytime. 

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 2:50 AM
  • I'd ask for help over here.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/update

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Just KarlModerator Tuesday, January 2, 2018 2:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dav777 Thursday, January 4, 2018 3:11 PM
    Tuesday, January 2, 2018 1:46 PM
  • Hi!

I have one Hard Disk set aside for the occasional use of an older (but expensive) program that runs under DOS 6.21. The Disk is now starting to "whine and groan" and I am afraid that it may fail soon.

I no longer have the 3.5" Diskette Drive "A" that was originally used to install the Program and O.S., so I want to Clone or Copy  the Operating System DOS 6.21 on to another Hard Disk ( now empty of files).  The new disk has to be designated "C" drive otherwise DOS will not work and I could re-install the program later.  The current Disk that I am using right now for Windows 10 is already designated as Drive "C" and I have not yet tried to change its Drive Letter. I have already tried simply copying the DOS files to the New Hard Disk but this does not result in me being able to get the Computer to Boot-up into DOS. How do I do this transfer? 

D.

A well-respected, free and open source solution for disk cloning is available at http://clonezilla.org/
    Tuesday, January 2, 2018 1:51 PM
  • try Acronis True Image..
    Tuesday, January 2, 2018 1:57 PM
  •    "Not a TechNet Wiki question"

Sorry, I had trouble selecting a suitable Category.

D.

Thursday, January 4, 2018 2:58 PM
  • O.K. Thanks.

D.

• Hi.

Thanks a bunch, this is a good option.

D.

Thursday, January 4, 2018 2:59 PM
  • Thanks for the Recommendation. I have it on file now.

D.

Thursday, January 4, 2018 3:01 PM
  • Thanks. I now have lots of good options.

D.

Thursday, January 4, 2018 3:02 PM

All replies

• System backup ? 

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-make-full-backup-windows-10

If not, then you'll probably need to use a 3rd party app to clone the disk completely. 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 1:05 AM
  • Hi,

Is DOS 6.21 and the old programs installed in the one Hard Disk?
    If yes, please purchase 3rd party software that can create/restore an image of partition/drive. I am using (Acronis) TrueImage for about 10 years. 

I guess the total size of MS-DOS and your program is less than 1 GB. You can make its image and save it into USB flash memory. After creating the partition image, you can restore it to a new HDD and execute the program on MS-DOS anytime. 

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 2:50 AM
  • I'd ask for help over here.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/update

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Just KarlModerator Tuesday, January 2, 2018 2:43 PM
    Tuesday, January 2, 2018 1:46 PM
  • Hi!

D.

A well-respected, free and open source solution for disk cloning is available at http://clonezilla.org/
    Tuesday, January 2, 2018 1:51 PM
  • try Acronis True Image..
    Tuesday, January 2, 2018 1:57 PM
  •    "Not a TechNet Wiki question"

Sorry, I had trouble selecting a suitable Category.

D.

• O.K. Thanks.

D.

• Hi.

Thanks a bunch, this is a good option.

D.

Thursday, January 4, 2018 2:59 PM
  • Thanks for the Recommendation. I have it on file now.

D.

Thursday, January 4, 2018 3:01 PM
  • Thanks. I now have lots of good options.

D.

Thursday, January 4, 2018 3:02 PM