What happens when a drive goes bad ? RRS feed

• Question

• So I'm setting up the server, and I've got several hard drives in there. and its backing up my other machines onto them.. Great.. backups arent super important, and I can withstand the loss of them..

I was planning on using the shared folders for stuff like MP3's etc.. Now If I make the server my main repository for mp3';s to be shared around the various machines in the house, what happens when one of the hard drives in the server goes bad ? Will I lose some or all of them ?  Do I need to keep a backup the shared folders (and my valuable pc's) on the server onto another PC ?

Sunday, March 11, 2007 12:56 AM

All replies

• Good Question. Having your critical files on a "mirrored" drive would be a good idea. A "Mirrored" drive is two drives set up to contain the same data. So when one drive dies, you still have the data.
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 1:26 AM
  •  Losfiendos wrote:

So I'm setting up the server, and I've got several hard drives in there. and its backing up my other machines onto them.. Great.. backups arent super important, and I can withstand the loss of them..

I was planning on using the shared folders for stuff like MP3's etc.. Now If I make the server my main repository for mp3';s to be shared around the various machines in the house, what happens when one of the hard drives in the server goes bad ? Will I lose some or all of them ? Do I need to keep a backup the shared folders (and my valuable pc's) on the server onto another PC ?

There's really more than one answer to this question. First, WHS is beta software. You should never trust the only copy of irreplaceable data to beta software if you have a choice. What if (f0r instance) Drive Extender is busily corrupting your data slowly but surely behind the scenes? So yes, you should keep a backup of anything you can't afford to lose.

That said, WHS Beta 2 seems pretty robust. If you use the built-in features the way they were intended to be used, you're probably pretty safe. So for data that you don't want to see evaporate you would mark the shares containing that data as duplicated. WHS will put duplicated data on two separate physical disks, so if one disk fails, your data is still safe.
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 3:57 AM
  • As I understand it, it works like a RAID 0 drive, except with folders.  If you write data to one folder, WHS writes data to another folder on the server.  That said, if your client were to go down, you can then put a new drive in, boot up, and then transfer the data from WHS onto the new drive.  This way, all your data is redundant, and you can make a clean copy after it goes down. Correct me if I'm wrong :D
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 8:17 PM