.NET 2.0 SP1 Update Failure RRS feed

• Question

• I heard there might be an update to WHS similar to one for SBS2003.  So I used the WHS Settings "Update Now" button.  It found an update for .NET 2.0 SP1 (KB110806).  Download ok, initialize, Installing...................................... After 10 hours no completion.  So I press Cancel and the server hung.  On reboot, things ok but I try to use the update again and it says Initializing Update, then goes Done (real quick) and goes back to the settings dialog.

How would I check to see if the update worked or not?  I can Remote Desktop and check there, but I thought I'd ask rather than poke around to find the right place.  Thanks.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:37 PM

Answers

• The latest automatic Windows Update loaded the update too.  We'll see how it goes.

The one thing I do hate is the auto reboot - do it at 2 am, not during a movie at 6 PM Sad

Friday, February 1, 2008 5:19 PM

All replies

• The easiest way is to use Remote Desktop, go to Add/Remove Program then look through there at the updates and see if its listed.

Andrew

Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:42 PM
  •  

Looks like it did not install fully as it isn't on the list.  Probably a needed update as when I got to the server via Demote Desktop, there were several errors that WHS wanted to report back to the mothership.

If the update will not install, what next?

Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:56 PM
  • You could try running the update from the WHS itself via Windows Update.

If that doesnt work you could always try downloading the update and installing it the old fashioned way.

Andrew

Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:58 PM
  • Ok, I went into IE and used Windows Update.  Kinda same.  It was already downloaded (the only update needed) and Installed, said success.  Update history shows one failure, 4 successes.  But if there was success, why wouldn't it show up as installed and remove itself from the to be installed list?

Would KB908077 apply? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908077/en-us?spid=8291&sid=244

Thursday, January 31, 2008 6:16 PM
  • The latest automatic Windows Update loaded the update too.  We'll see how it goes.

The one thing I do hate is the auto reboot - do it at 2 am, not during a movie at 6 PM Sad

Friday, February 1, 2008 5:19 PM
  • TheKitty,

Did you ever find a solution to this?  I'm experiencing exactly the same problem.  .NET 2.0 installs fine, but I cannot get SP1 on install.  I left it overnight and woke up to find it had not moved, attempted a reboot and the machine wouldn't budge.

Needless to say I've had the thing apart, formatted followed by complete reinstallation of WHS.  I thought I might have a software issue, so I refrained from installing anything other than the driver for my network card.

Same problem though, even with the updates downloaded manually from Microsoft.

I'm going to try and raise this with Microsoft...

Thursday, February 21, 2008 6:09 PM
  • When autoupdate ran, it yet again loaded the update for .NET SP1 and it installed fine then.  This is why I marked it resolved but I think there may still be a hiccup in their update code somewhere. 

The Kitty

PS deja vu on Vista SP1 problems I have heard of.

Thursday, February 21, 2008 8:03 PM
  • Windows Update keeps trying to install it on mine.  Have you tried running Windows Update since?  I'd put money on the fact that it tries to install it again...

Vista SP1.  Now that's something to look forward to.  One problem at a time!

Thursday, February 21, 2008 8:31 PM