locked
Presence not working properly RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have OCS 2007 with enhanced presence and remote access enabled. Most users are able to use MOC 2007 properly. I have patched the product with the latest updates (KB951662 and KB957707).

    I have one or two users whose MOC will not show presence properly. In most cases the presence will be indicated correctly for approximately one or two minutes after first signing in (though not always), and then change to 'Presence unknown'. All functionality works properly, except presence.

    I have confirmed that the problem is not with the user account as logging into a different machine has MOC working correctly.
    I have confirmed that the user account information is correct using DBAnalyze (and appears to be fine).

    On the local machine all users have Office 2007, and so integration is working fine as well. For the problem users, I have also checked the existence of the following registry keys:
    HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Communicator  DWORD  DisableEmailComparisonCheck 1
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\PersonaMenu  DWORD  RTCApplication=3

    Please let me know where else I can check to troubleshoot the issues with this.
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 6:20 PM

Answers

  • Update - so none of the contacts I have in my MOC show presence information EXCEPT for the latest new person to be added to OCS (at least initially), and then it changed to 'Presence unknown'.

    When I looked at the tracing log I did not see anything to indicate why it is behaving this way.

    ...getting frustrated with this.

    Another update:
    Seems that the SQL Server Log reported - Deadlock encountered.
    I restarted the database instance and had to log out and back into MOC to get presence back.
    I am still unsure as to why the deadlock occurred in the first place, but at least it resolved the issue.
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 4:12 PM

All replies

  • OK, so I think I've tracked down what may be related to the issue.

    Our users are currently transitioning from Office 2003 to Office 2007. In every case where a user's presence was not working, they also happened to have Office 2007 installed, except for one or both of Project 2003 and Visio 2003.

    To resolve the issue the products were upgraded to the 2007 versions.

    As an aside, to allow proper presence integration with SharePoint, the user must also have the corporate SharePoint site in their trusted sites, and enable Tools | Internet Options | Security | Trusted Sites | Custom level... and set User Authentication to 'Automatic logon with current user name and password'.

    If anyone else has other 'tips' I would appreciate those comments as well.
    Friday, November 21, 2008 4:41 PM
  • Update:
    So odd things have been going on. Presence information is NOT available for most users in MOC2007, and seems to be hit-or-miss in Outlook, and does not show in MOSS2007.

    There are no hints in Event Viewer on the server or clients.

    I believe the issue to be server-side, but do not know where to start.

    Any help is appreciated.
    Monday, December 1, 2008 3:59 PM
  • If you are confident that it's not a configuration issue (e.g. are you SIP and SMTP addresses the same?) then I would start looking at network communications.  Is it the same users everytime where presence does/doesn't work?  What type of deployment do you have?  Are these all internally-connected users, or are some externally connected via Edge?

     

    Monday, December 1, 2008 4:41 PM
    Moderator
  • I am (almost) sure it is not a configuration issue as it worked all last week. It seems there are some users where presence is working, though most are not - strangley the users that have had presence issues previously are currently working. I am using OCS 2007 Enterprise Consolidated internally, with an Edge Server running on WIndows Server 2003 for external connectivity and a SQL Server 2005 for the database.

    All was good through last week, and I was rolling out clients as approximately a dozen test users had successfully been testing for about a month (not without issues, mind you - but most had been (seemingly) resolved).

    I had performed installations of MOC 2007 with KB951662 and KB957707, as well as a registry entry to disable the email comparison check in Outlook 2007. I ensured all users had a complete installation of Office 2007 (i.e. no hanging-on apps from Office 2003 like Project or Visio), and provided a custom presence app from MVP Tom Pacyk that generates a proper XML file in a handy wrapper here (thanks Tom) :
    http://www.confusedamused.com/notebook/communicator-2007-custom-presence-tool/

    I also ensured that SharePoint was accounted for in IE by adding the default site for both http and https to the Trusted sites on the Security tab, and changed Custom Level | User Authentication | Logon | Automatic logon with current user name and password.

    Thanks in advance with any help to point me in the right direction.
    Monday, December 1, 2008 10:05 PM
  • Update - so none of the contacts I have in my MOC show presence information EXCEPT for the latest new person to be added to OCS (at least initially), and then it changed to 'Presence unknown'.

    When I looked at the tracing log I did not see anything to indicate why it is behaving this way.

    ...getting frustrated with this.

    Another update:
    Seems that the SQL Server Log reported - Deadlock encountered.
    I restarted the database instance and had to log out and back into MOC to get presence back.
    I am still unsure as to why the deadlock occurred in the first place, but at least it resolved the issue.
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 4:12 PM