none
Cannot get drivers for restore off of server RRS feed

• Question

• I need to get the drivers for a computer that I need to restore.  The help says to get in through the connector, click on the computer, then the backup set, then open etc.

I try to do this through the server itself and it tells me that I have to do so through another computer.  NONE of my other computers can connect through the connector.  Not a single computer in my entire house can use the connector to see the server.  The server can see them, and can back them up, but they can't see the server.  And here I thought WHS was supposed to be the "simple solution for grandma".

Anyway... I cannot restore my computer using the WHS backup.

Doesn't it seem that getting at these backups through the server itself is just a given?  That may be the only computer that still works.

So how do I get at the backup files for the computer I need to restore.
    jwc
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 4:15 PM

Answers

• OK, my "can't connect" problem is solved on one of my computers.  I downloaded the toolkit and ran it.  It told me that the version of the console was different from the version of the server.

Understand that I had uninstalled, reinstalled etc. FROM the file on the server.  However in the manual it says to DELETE C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server, the entire directory.

I uninstalled (again), and then deleted the directory WHICH WAS STILL THERE AFTER THE UNINSTALL, then ran the install from the software directory on the server and voila, NoConnect now connects!

So Microsoft needs to take a look at this issue. 

1) What are they looking at in the directory in Program Files that prevents the connect?
    2) Why isn't that directory entirely deleted by the reinstall?
    3) Why doesn't the connector TELL US that "the version number is different" and that it failing to connect for that reason.

Microsoft needs to step up and start solving some of these problems one by one.  This one seems like an easy one to start with.  If the uninstall had deleted this directory then when I did an uninstall / reinstall I would have come up working and saved me a full day of dicking around.  Or at the VERY LEAST, figure out what the connector is checking for version information and AT LEAST delete that thing.

Why in the world am I having to download a connector troubleshooter and read the manual for THAT to discover that I have to MANUALLY delete a directory before I reinstall to get the new installation to work?  How many other people have struggled with this when it is something that MICROSOFT should just handle automatically as part of their uninstall / install!

jwc
    • Marked as answer by John W. Colby Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:51 PM
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:51 PM

All replies

• A little background.

Home-built WHS machine
    The WHS is named C2DbWHS
    C2DbWHS has the built-in firewall turned off and as now has NO software firewall running.
    My workgroup is named C2DbWorkgroup
    All machines on the network belong to this workgroup
    All machines on the network can see the internet
    All machines on the network have the latest SPs applied.
    All machines on the network have file sharing turned on.
    My router is a Netgear WPN824V2, latest firmware installed.
    My router is my dhcp controller. 
    My router is at address 192.168.122.1 and assigns IP addresses in the range 192.168.122.1 - 192.168.122.255.
    The router has a static assignment for the WHS at 192.168.122.4
    C2DbWHS is set to automatically receive IP addresses.
    IPConfig on C2DbWHS says it is at 192.168.122.4
    Other machines on my network can ping "C2DbWHS" and get a response
    Other machines cannot ping 192.168.122.4 - get no response
    C2DbWHS can ping "C2DbWHS" and get a response
    C2DbWHS can ping 192.168.122.4 and get a response.

So for some reason from any other machine a ping directly to the IP number fails, though a ping to the machine name (C2DbWHS) works.

I am not a notwork guy and so am at the fringes of my technical knowledge now.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

jwc
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 6:06 PM
  • A little background.

Home-built WHS machine
    The WHS is named C2DbWHS
    C2DbWHS has the built-in firewall turned off and as now has NO software firewall running.

Did you ever install any other firewall program on your server?  (Just the way you worded it, it sounds like you were using something other than Windows Firewall.)

My workgroup is named C2DbWorkgroup
    All machines on the network belong to this workgroup
    All machines on the network can see the internet
    All machines on the network have the latest SPs applied.
    All machines on the network have file sharing turned on.
    My router is a Netgear WPN824V2, latest firmware installed.
    My router is my dhcp controller. 
    My router is at address 192.168.122.1 and assigns IP addresses in the range 192.168.122.1 - 192.168.122.255.
    The router has a static assignment for the WHS at 192.168.122.4
    C2DbWHS is set to automatically receive IP addresses.
    IPConfig on C2DbWHS says it is at 192.168.122.4
    Other machines on my network can ping "C2DbWHS" and get a response
    Other machines cannot ping 192.168.122.4 - get no response
    C2DbWHS can ping "C2DbWHS" and get a response
    C2DbWHS can ping 192.168.122.4 and get a response.

So for some reason from any other machine a ping directly to the IP number fails, though a ping to the machine name (C2DbWHS) works.

I am not a notwork guy and so am at the fringes of my technical knowledge now.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

jwc

First, have you tried rebooting your router, server and client?  Second, can you open a command prompt on your server as well as one of your clients and type ipconfig /all, then post the results from both here?
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 7:11 PM
  • I have comodo installed, but turned off.  I am about to uninstall it in anticipation of your next request. ;)

No, not yet though I will do that now.  This has been going since I reinstalled WHS a month or so ago.  From that moment forward, the clients would not connect.  I have reinstalled the clients from the directory on WHS, to no avail.  I find it odd that:

1) Windows Explorer can see the server shares.
    2) The connector can be installed from the shares.
    3) The connector can install, find the server, set up backups etc. 
    4) The server can perform the backups. 
    5) However the CONNECTOR cannot see the server. 

Sounds like a bug to me, even if there is a "cause" that eventually allows it to work.

I will admit that not being able to ping the IP is mighty strange, and needs to be tracked down and fixed but still...

I'll get back once I reboot everything in sight.

JWC

jwc
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 8:08 PM
  • Well I rebooted the world (did you feel it?) and nothing has changed.  I also removed the static mapping in the router and now I cannot ping C2DbWHS either, nor 192.168.122.4.  IOW without the static map even pinging the computer name does not work.  I guess we know now where the name translation happened.  Curiously, even though the connector cannot "log on" to the server, right clicking on it can still cause the backup to happen (for that machine).

Just an FYI, I was able to do the restore by finding my driver CD, copying the drivers to a usb stick and using that as the restore disk needed drivers (for the network card).  The restore happened just fine, so the server is functioning, the backups are there and the restore disk can perform a restore.

The "only" problem is than not a single computer in the house can log on to WHS using the connector.

Since this is not a headless machine, I can log in directly to the desktop, and the connector on the WHS works just fine.

BTW I even have my domain at SomeName.HomeServer.com working for serving a web page to external machines.  complete with WHIIST add-in serving a photo album.

Too bad the connector on the work stations won't work. 

So at this point this thread degrades to "the connector won't".  Given how many of those threads there are...

Sigh.

jwc
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 2:36 AM
  • I tried doing a repair on the NIC (using the properties dialog) and it said it couldn't complete because it couldn't clear the ARP cache.  I looked that up and it said to turn off the Routing and Remote Access service, which I did.  I then did another repair and now I can ping the WHS IP address from my other computers.

Rebooted the WHS and another machine.  Ran discover on the other machine.  Both can ping each other.  Workstation still cannot connect via the connector software.  I think we should rename it to the NoConnect.  ;)

Can't MS supply something to help us troubleshoot these things.  If the NoConnector can see the server, deliver health status, open the shared directories and start a backup via the right click menu of the NoConnector, why can't it open and allow me to see the server.  And why can't it pop up troubleshooting messages concerning WHY it can't connect. 

This is very frustrating and time consuming, especially when you spend literally 4 or 5 or 8 hours doing this that and the other and NEVER get the NoConnector to connect.  Everything else is working.

jwc
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 12:41 PM
  • I tried doing a repair on the NIC (using the properties dialog) and it said it couldn't complete because it couldn't clear the ARP cache.  I looked that up and it said to turn off the Routing and Remote Access service, which I did.  I then did another repair and now I can ping the WHS IP address from my other computers.

Rebooted the WHS and another machine.  Ran discover on the other machine.  Both can ping each other.  Workstation still cannot connect via the connector software.  I think we should rename it to the NoConnect.  ;)

Can't MS supply something to help us troubleshoot these things.  If the NoConnector can see the server, deliver health status, open the shared directories and start a backup via the right click menu of the NoConnector, why can't it open and allow me to see the server.  And why can't it pop up troubleshooting messages concerning WHY it can't connect. 

This is very frustrating and time consuming, especially when you spend literally 4 or 5 or 8 hours doing this that and the other and NEVER get the NoConnector to connect.  Everything else is working.

jwc

Looks like you've been busy since yesterday morning.  :)

Did you ever uninstall Comodo Firewall from your server?  I assume everything worked before your Server Reinstallation?  Can you now ping your server, both by name and by IP address?  Is the WHS Console icon in the systray gray or some other color?  When you open the Console from one of your clients, exactly what happens (do you immediately get an error message, do you get to type in your server password, etc)?  FYI, there is a WHS Toolkit (32-bit and 64-bit) which you can try installing and see if it gives you any more info as to your problem.  Make sure to read the manual for it though as it doesn't install like other add-ins.
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 3:20 PM
  • OK, my "can't connect" problem is solved on one of my computers.  I downloaded the toolkit and ran it.  It told me that the version of the console was different from the version of the server.

Understand that I had uninstalled, reinstalled etc. FROM the file on the server.  However in the manual it says to DELETE C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server, the entire directory.

I uninstalled (again), and then deleted the directory WHICH WAS STILL THERE AFTER THE UNINSTALL, then ran the install from the software directory on the server and voila, NoConnect now connects!

So Microsoft needs to take a look at this issue. 

1) What are they looking at in the directory in Program Files that prevents the connect?
    2) Why isn't that directory entirely deleted by the reinstall?
    3) Why doesn't the connector TELL US that "the version number is different" and that it failing to connect for that reason.

Microsoft needs to step up and start solving some of these problems one by one.  This one seems like an easy one to start with.  If the uninstall had deleted this directory then when I did an uninstall / reinstall I would have come up working and saved me a full day of dicking around.  Or at the VERY LEAST, figure out what the connector is checking for version information and AT LEAST delete that thing.

Why in the world am I having to download a connector troubleshooter and read the manual for THAT to discover that I have to MANUALLY delete a directory before I reinstall to get the new installation to work?  How many other people have struggled with this when it is something that MICROSOFT should just handle automatically as part of their uninstall / install!

jwc
    • Marked as answer by John W. Colby Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:51 PM
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:51 PM