none
MS Money Sunset+Windows 8, Crash when adding new Payee RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to add a new transaction with a Payee that is new, I receive a message that Money has stopped working.  Using a debugger, I get the following message:

Unhandled exception at 0x32656F6B (utlsrf08.dll) in msmoney.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xFFFFFFFE.

I know that isn't of much use to anyone but the developers and since MSMoney is no longer developed, there's only workarounds.

I've tried compatibility modes of Windows 7 and XP SP3 and running as administrator.  None of the options fixed the problem.  I've run through the troubleshooter and since it couldn't resolve the problem with the same settings I did manually, I submitted a ticket for incompatible program.  I hope it makes it into a service pack or hotfix soon.

So far on Windows 8, my Microsoft Lifecam VX6000 isn't recognized and MS Money crashes.  This doesn't bode well.  At least they have until October until mass release.

Monday, August 20, 2012 11:24 PM

All replies

• I did some testing with Money 2005 UK and Windows 8 a few months ago and all seemed fine.

I don't have Windows 8 installed anymore but I could re-install on a test partition and give it another go.

What version of Money are you running ?

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:20 AM
  • I am using MS Money Sunset version (2007?), on Windows 8 Professional x64.  I'm probably going to set up a VM with Win7 as a temporary workaround.

I'm interested in hearing your experiences.  Thanks.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:13 PM
  • I'm in the same boat.  Running Windows 8 Enterprise 64 bit and MS Money Sunset is crashing during payee adding and importing downloaded statements.  Hoping for a workaround.
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:33 PM
  • Looks like it's a problem with the US Sunset versions.

I installed Windows 8 Customer Preview (32 bit) on a test partition.

Installed UK Money 2005 and opened up my existing Money file. Tested various things, including paying bills to new and

existing payees, balancing credit card account, transferring funds to broker cash fund, buying investment units etc. All OK.

Removed Money 2005 and installed US Money Sunset. Created new Money file and added two bank accounts and credit card

accounts. Added a few payees via Account tools. Added transactions in credit card register for existing payees fine but if I added

an entry in the register for a payee that as not in the Payees list I get the error. 

Removed US Sunset and installed US Business Sunset. Same tests and same result, if the payee had been added via account tools, adding entries in the register was fine, otherwise the error occurred.

Removed US Money Sunset and installed Money 2005 International version. Ran same tests and everything worked OK (as per UK Money 2005). 

Therefore, it seems the best workaround for the time being is to ensure that you have all your payees pre-defined through the Account Tools. Then when you come to add entries in the account register(s) you can just select the payee from the drop-down list.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:30 PM
  • Thanks for the investigation.  I had never manually created a Payee before, but I'm ok with that workaround.  However, I've just run into the importing transaction issue yert6969 mentioned.

When importing an OFX file, The dialog appears that says import successful, then Money crashes.  At that point, my file was completely broken, since every time I'd reopen the MNY file, it would try to process the pending transactions again and crash.  I opened the MNY file in my Windows 7 VM and Money showed the transactions as pending, but the register did not do any matching or give any way to accept them.  I chose the Reconcile All Transactions option and it marked everything with the "E" status.

I'll have to keep going with the Win7 install because I do need to process OFX files.  Here's hoping for future improvements.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:41 PM
  • Yep, just ended up making a VM running Windows XP (though 7 would work also) "for the love of Money".  I have tried Quicken and Mint but nothing compares.  Still hoping for someone to find a permanent fix so I can continue to use better software.  If anyone has any insights please let me know.  
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:23 PM
  • Does the OFX file you're importing contain any new payee names ? If so, then there is the same exposure.

It should be noted that as the problem appears to be within a specific Money routine on an unsupported release,

the problem will not be fixed. 

Looks like a software upgrade (a contradiction in terms, if ever there was one), has done what it always does,

raises the blood pressure and lowers the productivity.

• Edited by AshleyST Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:03 AM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:03 AM
  • Unchecking 'Use Autocomplete' in the Tools/Settings/Account Settings(Gobal) section seems to have cured this for me. Unfortunately I quite liked that option :(

I haven't yet tried importing an OFX

• Edited by Doug Armand Wednesday, August 22, 2012 9:28 AM
    • Proposed as answer by moneyman2012 Sunday, December 16, 2012 12:03 PM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 9:28 AM
  • Just tried an OFX and it crashed the program on import and now its crashes on load with a dialog box up saying 'Import Complete' :).

Ah well thank god I was only using a test file

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 9:39 AM
  •  Created new Money file and added two bank accounts and credit card accounts. Added a few payees via Account tools. Added transactions in credit card register for existing payees fine but if I added an entry in the register for a payee that as not in the Payees list I get the error. 

If I follow the above steps on a new (test) file that I create, the problem does occur for me too.  However, if I try to use a non-listed payee on the file I brought from my Windows 7 computer, the problem does *not* occur.

I am using Windows 8 Release Preview 64-bit.  It is fully updated (with what little updates were released).  I am also using Money Sunset US.

Friday, August 24, 2012 2:40 PM
  • Looks like it's a problem with the US Sunset versions.

Installed UK Money 2005 and opened up my existing Money file. Tested various things, including paying bills to new and

Was the Money 2005 UK version you refer to the QFE2 version or the "make your own install disk version"?
    Friday, August 24, 2012 6:22 PM
  • All the versions used for testing were the sunset downloads, as per the sticky thread on this forum.

So yes, the Money 2005 UK was the QFE2 version.

I already had them all saved in my archives, as I downloaded them all when they first became available.

• Edited by AshleyST Saturday, August 25, 2012 8:22 AM
    Saturday, August 25, 2012 8:21 AM
  • I already had them all saved in my archives, as I downloaded them all when they first became available.

Snap!  And then saved them to Dropbox and other clouds, burned to CD & USB, etc.

Thanks.

Saturday, August 25, 2012 8:54 AM
  • I'm having the same problem (crash when adding a new payee in the register). Thanks for the tip. It fixed the crash problem. BTW, I've tested the original release version of the Money Plus, it has the same crash problem.
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 2:36 AM
  • I am having the same problem importing OFX files under Windows 8 RTM.  I found that if I ran in compatibility mode for "Windows 98" the fonts would be all screwed up, but it would actually process the import successfully.  Perhaps I am missing a font or my DPI scaling is causing the problem or something as it is basically not useful as I seem to only be able to see the capitol letters! 

Sunday, August 26, 2012 5:07 PM
  • Ironically, there was no crashing problem with the Consumer Preview!  I think this is MS's way of telling us that we shouldn't be using Money anymore, though I'm beginning to think I shouldn't be using Win8. Shouldn't we be using Mint or the like?

Anyway, I saw both problems above, but by far the worst was after the OFX import, since it took about 5 runs of Money just to get past the immediate crash of the OK box, and even then it wasn't really "OK" since it would crash all by itself several seconds after seemingly starting up cleanly.

So I tried Dave's Win98 trick for one run, and that seems to have things back to normal as long as I heed the payee workaround, I suppose (thought I've turned off autocomplete too on the earlier advice that it can help), and don't do another import.

Sunday, August 26, 2012 9:15 PM
  • I can confirm that the import problem crept in Release Preview version of Windows 8. With the Consumer Preview version, importing worked just fine.. I havent tried the above workaround, but am hoping we can find a permanent fix soon.

At the moment i'm syncing my file through skydrive at work and importing from there. Problem is I do most of my budgeting on weekends at home, so its real annoying to connect at work and complete the import and then resume working at home for other stuff..

Monday, August 27, 2012 6:56 AM
  • On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 21:15:51 +0000, rseiler wrote:

>Ironically, there was no crashing problem with the Consumer Preview!  I think this is MS's way of telling us that we shouldn't be using Money anymore, though I'm beginning to think I shouldn't be using Win8. Shouldn't we be using Mint or the like?

I agree that it may be MS's way of telling us not to use Windows 8.  I for one will not install W8 unless this problem is either fixed, or some compatible program that has at least the capability of Money comes along.

Putting the data I have in Money out in the Cloud is NOT an option for me.

Ron
    Monday, August 27, 2012 2:24 PM
  • Shouldn't we be using Mint or the like?

Or just run Windows 7 until January 2020 ?
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:05 PM
  • Or just run Windows 7 until January 2020 ?

That would be fine if you don't need to replace your current computer (or if you have a retail version of Windows 7), but I don't expect my computer will last until 2020 and would guess that the next one will come with a later Windows version.  Perhaps this problem will go away by Windows 9 and we'll be OK.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 6:13 PM
  • Does anyone know exactly what the problem is with OFX downloads ?

For example, are you getting an access violation as per what was originally reported with the account payee error, or

is it something else ? 

My testing with Windows 8 Customer preview was only able to recreate the Account Payee problem.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 12:02 PM
  • Same config here (Windows 8 Enterprise 64 bit and MS Money Sunset) since 8/4; seemed it was working fine until just last week. In retrospect, I may not have attempted adding a new payee, nor had I imported an OFX.

Yet another work-around to those already suggested is to start a new transaction using an existing payee (OK with auto-complete enabled), then pop back and edit the payee field to the desired 'new' payee and complete transaction entry.

Still have the OFX import issue to deal with.

• Edited by digitalmarx Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:24 PM
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 7:42 PM
  • Are you talking about the payee problem or the import problem?

I haven't seen any W8 updates, so it's hard to imagine how they could be involved.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:19 PM
  • Thx rseiler; clarified my post.

I've been getting regular w8 self-host updates, and today a Lenovo display driver update. But regardless I agree - in looking back over my activity, I hadn't yet tripped over a new payee.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:29 PM
  • The problem would appear to be with 64 vs. 32 bit.

I've installed Win 8 release version 32 & 64 bit on two machines.

Money sunset runs without problem on 32-bit but crashes when importing QIF data on the 64-bit machine.

Maybe this will offer some insight into solving the problem. 

Regards, Rob

Thursday, September 13, 2012 5:53 AM
  • That's interesting. I've tested on CP version and it crashes, maybe its fixed in 32bit RTM? Can someone else confirm this as well?
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 6:30 AM
  • I'm not sure if this is another RTM-fueled issue or whether it's just something that's suddenly gone wrong here, but when I create a new Withdrawal or Deposit transaction manually, and choose an existing "Pay to/From" item from the list, I notice that Money no longer automatically chooses the Category last used for that Pay to/From item. It certainly always used to remember that, but now I have to reselect a category every time.
    • Proposed as answer by remco8264 Friday, September 21, 2012 4:20 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by remco8264 Friday, September 21, 2012 4:20 PM
    Friday, September 14, 2012 7:52 PM
  • This started happening to me just today as well.

I have been using the released MSDN version of Windows 8 64-bit since mid August with no issues.

I use Money everyday.

Manually adding the payee prior to entry in the register is now required.

I removed older entries thinking I might have reached a limit but that didn't solve the issue either.

Too bad it is no longer supported, but I think a fix is in order.

Monday, September 17, 2012 3:48 PM
  • The issue must have been addressed in a Win8 update. I'm again able to add new payees on transactions as well as import statements.

Thanks Microsoft!

Sunday, September 30, 2012 6:52 AM
  • Imports still bomb here (use Win98 compat mode temporarily when doing them), though you're right that new payees work.

There has only been a single update for Win8 of any import: an update to Flash.

Sunday, September 30, 2012 7:10 AM
  • Sorry to say it's still broken here.  :(

Regards, Rob

Sunday, September 30, 2012 7:35 AM
  • Maybe a workaround for the crash with a new Payee. I find if I enter the Category first it seems to work fine.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Sunday, September 30, 2012 10:47 AM
  • After installing KB2756872 - Update for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems, I no longer seem to get this error. This update came out yesterday.
    • Proposed as answer by Robbieb Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:48 PM
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:29 PM
  • You were doubly lucky (btw, which of the two issues do you mean?). People should stay clear of that update for now:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_update/trying-to-install-kb2756872-getting-error-800f0920/9418cc21-fc5e-4965-851a-defd195a5fe3

Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:19 PM
  • Money no longer crashes when entering a new payee after this update (atleast not on my pc). But I had no idea there were problems when installing this update, hopefully it'll be resolved soon.
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:54 PM
  • I'm no longer getting a crash when importing QIF file

kb2756872 installed without a problem.

Regards, Rob

• Edited by Robbieb Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:03 PM
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:00 PM
  • Reading through that forum entry, it sounds as if the issue with installing that update exists predominantly for systems that were upgraded from Windows 7. I had a clean install and kb2756872 installed for me without a problem as part of the regular updates. I didn't think twice about it. Now I'm able to import again. Thanks Microsoft!
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:48 PM
  • It definitely does happen for clean installs too, though. I've been following some other threads on this as well and have seen numerous people say so. It's good to know that it fixes the import problem, if just by accident (does anyone really think MS is paying any attention to Money?), but it's probably not going to take them long to get a fixed KB out.
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:59 PM
  • Well, I did an upgrade install from Win7 Ultimate and kb2756872 installed quite happily.

Regards, Rob

Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:48 PM
  • Hello Rob,

You are lucky! I'm using the RTM version of Win8 x64 with all available patches via Windows update (as of Oct-13) but I still have the OFX import issue. I tried to fall back to a fresh install of Win7 x64 on another machine after dutifully uninstalling Money 2007 on the Win8 x64 machine and now the installation of Money 2007 on the Win7 x64 machine complains that the product has already been activated. Digital River is asking me to call Microsoft support.

Regards.

Monday, October 15, 2012 7:02 PM
  • Hello!

Would like to hear if you succeeded. I went down the path you described and did not have a positive experience.

Regards.

Monday, October 15, 2012 7:06 PM
  • I've always had problems with drivers for LifeCam and LifeChat. Logitech WebCam Pro 9000 was successfully upgraded during a default Win8 x64 upgrade.

Regards.

Monday, October 15, 2012 7:09 PM
  • Hi Baq,

I'm using the release version of 8 available on actionpack , maybe you should upgrade?

Regards, Rob

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:26 AM
  •  I'm using the RTM version of Win8 x64 with all available patches via Windows update (as of Oct-13) but I still have the OFX import issue. I tried to fall back to a fresh install of Win7 x64 on another machine after dutifully uninstalling Money 2007 on the Win8 x64 machine and now the installation of Money 2007 on the Win7 x64 machine complains that the product has already been activated. Digital River is asking me to call Microsoft support.

If you need to reinstall, you cannot install a version with DRM. You will need to install MoneyPlus Sunset.
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:07 PM
  • Hi Baq; it sounds as if you don't have the sunset version. The sunset version is equivalent to Money Plus 2008 (possibly with some minor tweaks). It does not require activation. You can download it here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=20738

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:12 PM
  • I've the same problem as you !
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 8:26 AM
  • I now have the final version of Windows 8 and it appears that Money works again, no special steps needed :-).
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:14 PM
  • Thanks - Manually adding the payees did it. 
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 6:03 AM
  • I had this problem too; Msg read Microsoft money has stopped working .I had to keep shutting down and re-opening money sunset to try again . , After third attempt and hoping it would just rectify itself , I went into the categories/payee lists . It works the same as addind a new bill . You can add a new payee here ...... When it is added hence you can go back + enter your transaction . It will prob be a bit of a pain tho - the more payees you have ???

• Proposed as answer by mummymary Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:27 PM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:26 PM
  • For anyone who was unable to install the previously mentioned W8 cumulative update that apparently fixed the problem, here's another way:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2012/11/13/10367904.aspx

Thursday, November 22, 2012 4:33 AM
  • I was having the same problem after upgrading to Windows 8 Pro.  Here is a blog entry from an MS developer (THIS IS NOT SUPPORTED BY MICROSOFT USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!):  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2012/11/13/10367904.aspx

You need to be comfortable using a hex editor and change the bytes he describes.  I had the crash importing OFX files, but after doing the hex edit it seems to work again.

For 64-bit PCs, the file you need to edit is here (the last directory is hidden, but if you type it in you'll see files): C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles

For 32-bit PCs, here: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles

The hex editor I used was downloaded here:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/hexbox/files/latest/download?source=files

• Proposed as answer by ajj7060 Saturday, December 1, 2012 4:57 PM
    Saturday, December 1, 2012 4:57 PM
  • Did you see the previous post by any chance?
    Saturday, December 1, 2012 5:05 PM
  • For anyone who was unable to install the previously mentioned W8 cumulative update that apparently fixed the problem, here's another way:

(Link in OP)

I just yesterday did a clean install of Windows 8 on my desktop . . . this morning I installed the MS Money Sunset edition . . . all was fine until I dl the ofx from my credit union . . . instant crash . . . found this forum and your above link . . . did the edit prescribed by the blog's author, Raymond, and voila . . . crash all gone . . . I have ALL the latest updates from MS installed on Win8, but none of the updates fixed the Mnyob99.dll issue . . . only editing those 4 file offsets at binary level took care of the issue . . . quick and painless . . .
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 1:54 PM
  • I use the sunset version of MS Money on Windows XP and just started getting this same Money crash issue yesterday.  This discussion thread was VERY helpful and the hex edit change completely fixed the problem.  All working well again.  THANK YOU all.

Saturday, December 15, 2012 1:16 PM
  • OMG, Ditto for me.  I use the sunset version of MS Money on Windows XP and just started getting this same Money crash issue this morning. Turning off auto complete or entering the payee from the payee area not within the register has no crash issues. WTF.

UPDATED: 12-19-2012 I replaced the mnyob99.dll with the updated version from Raymond Chen.Windows Update of 12-11-12 KB2758857 introduced the same crashes for Windows XP users when entering a new payee within the register.

Thanks Microsoft :(

• Edited by blblhakim Wednesday, December 19, 2012 11:22 AM Updated Fix
    • Proposed as answer by subsub21 Wednesday, January 2, 2013 10:42 PM
    Saturday, December 15, 2012 2:00 PM
  • Wow, incredible stuff!  It took me three times as long to find a (small) hex editor than it did to make those changes.  Wonder if someone should host the patched file for those who aren't savvy to hex editing?  I'll try to do that tomorrow..
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 6:33 AM
  • Wow, incredible stuff!  It took me three times as long to find a (small) hex editor than it did to make those changes.  Wonder if someone should host the patched file for those who aren't savvy to hex editing?  I'll try to do that tomorrow..

http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2012/12/02/windows-8-64-bit-version-compatibility-with-sunset-money/ has  a link.
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 6:49 AM

http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2012/12/02/windows-8-64-bit-version-compatibility-with-sunset-money/ has  a link.

thanks, it fixed my problem too.

I am using Microsoft Money Plus Sunset v17 on Windows XP SP3 and was getting errors this week.

Friday, December 21, 2012 9:20 AM
  • this worked for me just fine. Thanks for posting. Very easy to do.
    Friday, December 21, 2012 4:22 PM
  • This worked for me on Win XP Pro. Fonts were fine.
    Monday, December 24, 2012 2:50 AM
  • Thank you.  I have been a Microsoft money user since 1999.  At some point I bought the 2002 version and used it until late last month when I bought a new computer with windows 8.  Windows 2002 would not install so I downloaded a version of Microsoft money deluxe plus off the internet (which had problems) and eventually deluxe plus sunset.  At one point I even bought quicken but found it OK but not what I wanted.   "Quicken is slick with the downloads which I tried and removed because I like having my entries show the date of purchase rather than the date paid.  I like just using Money manually.  It may be my ignorance, but I found microsoft money to be far superior for basic services which you need no matter how complex an accounting system you use (eg, ease in reconciling your monthly accounts, moving entries, etc.).   But then on the deluxe plus sunset  money version  I ran into the "payee" addition problem and went nuts with frustration as it shut down my money version each time I added a new payee.  I thought I corrupted by data.  I don't know if this "account tools" solution will solve all problems, but it works at least momentarily and I much appreciate the help.  The only real complaints I have had with Microsoft money over the years have been difficulty removing categories and payees and maybe this will help at least with the payees.  John Paul Plante 12/25/12. 
    Tuesday, December 25, 2012 4:44 PM
  • As a happy Microsoft Money user since version 2004 (now using Sunset Plus). I'll echo a huge thank you to Raymond Chen for this fix and everyone who participated in the process.

I've tried other financial management software (notably, Quicken 2012) and nothing can touch the robustness and ease of use of Microsoft Money.

Quicken doesn't even do cash flow projections - specifically, "budget" items don't affect Quicken's cash flow projection, making the latter utterly useless for planning purposes.
    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 10:21 AM
  • Hi everybody,

Like all people here, I went through the same bug with MS  Money sunset edition after upgrading from XP to Vista.

Thanks to Raymond Chen for this outstanding contribution to MS money users community!

Tuesday, January 1, 2013 10:35 AM
  • This workaround is good!  This issue exist in Windows XP as well so don't think it's related to Win7 or Win8.  When I get new laptop w/W8, I plan on still using MS Money.  Issue seems to related to MS Money application and not O/S.
    Tuesday, January 1, 2013 4:23 PM
  • I was having this problem and the easiest way I found to add a new payee without having to exit the screen you are in is to enter a "known" payee with the same subcategory and tab over to continue entering the transaction.  Then tab back and edit the payee.  No freezing and simple keystrokes fixes the problem.

For example.  I wanted to enter a new gas station for my gas purchases.  I had previously used "Shell" so I entered Shell into the payees spot which automatically populated the expense category as "automobile : gasoline" and then I tabbed over to the dollar amount.  I then Shift+Tab back to the payee and enter Chevron into the payee spot and presto chango a new payee created without trouble.

Happy entering!

Tuesday, January 1, 2013 10:19 PM
  • Worked - Been racking my brain!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 9:38 PM
  • I'm trying to get a handle on what actually happened here, so that I can decide whether to patch my mnyobj99.dll file as per Raymond's blog post; or whether it's possible/likely that a future Windows XP update will fix the problem.

Here's what I understand the timeline to be, based on Raymond's blog post and this forum thread:

• One of the DLLs for MS Money Sunset - mnyobj99.dll - has (and by the sounds of it, has always had) a bug in it (an uninitialized variable);  which for years has gone unnoticed.
    • The initial version(s) of Windows 8 exposed this bug back in August 2012
    • Through some excellent debug sleuthing work, Raymond Chen provided a workaround by patching the myobj99.dll file to remove the bug.
    • A cumulative update for Windows 8 was subsequently released, which suppressed (ie. resolved) the issue; making Raymond's patch no longer necessary
    • A Windows XP SP3 security update (KB2758857) exposed the same bug for Windows XP SP3 users in December 2012
    • As yet, no official fix for the Windows XP issue is available, necessitating Raymond's patch for XP users  (or alternatively, uninstalling KB2758857)

Is this correct?

Assuming that it is; what I'm not yet clear on is:  if the root cause here is a bug in Money; and that bug was inadvertently exposed to Windows XP users by a security update, is it reasonable to expect that a future XP update may suppress the issue, as happened with Windows 8?

Or, is this unlikely (given that XP SP3 is approaching end of extended support)?

To put this another way:  the Windows 8 cumulative update that supposedly resolved the issue.....does anybody know how or why it fixed an "uninitialized variable" bug in Money?  It doesn't really make sense to me how these things are related?

(Then again, I'm still trying to wrap my brain around Raymond's patch....so I'm hoping someone much smarter than I can make sense of this)

Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:34 AM
  • You are overthinking this.  Just replace your myobj99.dll file with the patched one.  There is no downside to this.  I've already done this with my Windows 7 setup which did not exhibit the problem.
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:53 PM
  • As you can see from Raymond's post, when the Money program was compiled , it created a machine instruction

push    dword ptr [ebp-2E4h]

that referenced a value calculated from the base pointer (ebp). The ebp is the base pointer address during program calling and in fact, contains the address of the stack. The stack, as its name implies is an area of storage which has entries pushed onto it and popped off it. Now, as that instruction points to an incorrect entry on the stack (ie not an

initialised variable) we can pick up anything from there. Previously it looks as if there was always a valid address there, so the data at the location of the address obtained from that stack entry was read and no harm was done.

However, with changes made by other code that is no longer the case.

Let's say that previously, the stack entry being picked up by Money, had been used by another routine and the value in the stack pointed to a data buffer. That would be fine and Money would (inadvertently) read the old data pointed to by the address. However, lets suppose the other routine is changed to alter its use of the stack entries and the value that used to be an address is now a set of flag bits. This would result in the entry in the stack containing a completely different value. It would obviously be valid for the routine concerned by invalid as an address when picked up in error by Money.

As stated by bobjbkln, the underlying bug is in the Money code and its that code that needs fixing.

Friday, January 18, 2013 10:10 AM
  • So many people have been successful at fixing the problem of importing downloaded ofx files...I’m still scratching my head over this. I’m not very savvy when it comes to this. I went to Raymond link that you reference above and clicked on the link "here" and saved the dll file. Closed money, restarted the computer and money is still crashing.

I’m getting very frustrated, don’t know what to do, and have 7 months of statement to import for 4 different bank accounts.

I’m running XP, with sunset edition.

Please help!!!

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 2:29 AM
  • Thanks AshleyST....that's exactly the explanation I was hoping for.  That makes perfect sense now.

I'll be patching my myobj99.dll tonight.

(Probably not the right forum to be saying this, but I'm still hopeful for the day when someone releases a personal finance manager that is functionally-equivalent to MS Money, either (preferably) web-based, or for OS X.   MS Money is the ONLY reason I still have a Windows PC at home.  I've tried all of the alternatives, both online & native apps, and none come close).  I would pay good money for such a product.)

Friday, February 8, 2013 5:13 AM
  • All of a sudden MS Money Deluxe crashed every time I put in a new payee.  To access the list of payees I went to the "Bills" tab to the right of Home and Banking / See payee details /  View Payees / This is where you can add via "New" "Rename" or "Delete" payees.  MSMoney has been great all of these years.

• Proposed as answer by KLRBEE Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:36 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by KLRBEE Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:36 PM
    Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:36 PM
  • All of a sudden MS Money Deluxe crashed every time I put in a new payee.  To access the list of payees I went to the "Bills" tab to the right of Home and Banking / See payee details /  View Payees / This is where you can add via "New" "Rename" or "Delete" payees.  MSMoney has been great all of these years.

If this is Money Plus Deluxe, see second posting (a sticky post) on this forum. If it is something else, there may be a related fix if you are up to it.
    Sunday, February 17, 2013 5:57 AM
  • I'm using Money 2007 Deluxe, and I was having a problem with new payees.  My workaround is to select the category first, and then type in the new payee.
    Sunday, July 21, 2013 3:22 PM