Present Day Balances RRS feed

• Question

• I just changed over to MS Money Sunset from Quicken due to the changes in Quicken's purchase vs subscription model going forward. I am loving the software, however I have one big issue. I budget my checking account about one month forward to account for cash flow needs. Is there a way to get the software to show today's balances instead of the ending balance in the register? The ending balance doesn't really mean anything to me because I'm always adding income/expenses so far out.
    Thursday, February 8, 2018 7:48 PM

All replies

• There isn't any way to do what you want for a cash account. Check out the Forecast Cash Flow instead. It will show you account balance(s) over time based on past and future transactions already in the register as well as any scheduled transactions not yet in the register. I've managed my finances largely by Forecast Cash Flow since the mid '90s.
    Thursday, February 8, 2018 8:17 PM
  • I'm not sure what you mean by Forecase Cash Flow. Is that a report in MS Money or other software? To be more clear, I'm talking about account balances on the "Account List" page where I can see all of my accounts. On the far of this account list page, there is a column for Bank Balance and Ajd. Balance. The bank balance column is blank for all accounts. The Adj. Balance is the place I would like it to show TODAY's balance, not the ending balance of the register.
    Thursday, February 8, 2018 9:00 PM
  • I understand you want the Account List to show balances as of today not as of the total of transactions entered in the register. Money won't do it.

Forecast Cash Flow is a page and a module you can add to the home page. You can get to it by the home page menu on the L side "Cash Flow" below the big bold "Account List". Or add "Cash flow forecast" to the home page from  "Customize content or layout". Or get to it from Bills Summary|Common tasks|Forecast cash flow. There are probably other ways.

All of this assumes M08/Sunset US when Advanced Bills and Advanced Register are enabled. Can't say what happens in Essential Bills/Register.

You can also find more in Help by searching for term "forecast cash flow".

Thursday, February 8, 2018 9:14 PM
  • I understand what you would like to have. Sorry. This is not what you are asking for, but it is the closest that I think Money can do:

In the Account balances report, you can click Customize. There is  "Show Balances as of"... Clicking Reset, changes that date to todays date, if it is not that way already. You can make a report a Favorite, and make it more quickly accessible via the Favorites item.

Speaking of reports, change to advanced reports with Reports->ChangeReportSettings->SwitchFromEssentialToAdvancedReports.

Not related to what you are asking, there are some things that a new Sunset user should do or at least consider:

Apply the patch described in the current first post in this forum. This could prevent some misbehavior.

Tell Windows Firewall to not let Microsoft Money access the Internet. This is a speed thing, and not a safety thing.

Consider PocketSense if you want to download transactions from your broker or credit cards. This would be like the direct access of Quicken. I trigger this with the Windows Scheduler nightly, but most invoke it manually.

I would set up backups to have the scheduled backups to different media. I send mine to a USB flash drive. Alternatively, you could send them to a drive that mirrors into the cloud if you are so inclined.

For some less common stuff, that you may be interested in, http://littlegreengecko.com/MSMstuff/ may have some article that you will find of interest. On the other hand, maybe none of those matches what you would want. That info is old, but some of it is timeless.

Thursday, February 8, 2018 9:26 PM
  • Thank you both! This has all been very helpful. I have played around with the Forecast Cash and the advanced reports and I think it'll give me what I'm looking for. I used Quicken for 12 years and I'm about 2 weeks into MS Money so it has been a bit of a learning curve. 

With that said, I am pretty fluent with Python and had already set up the automation with PocketSense. I was able to get my Citi, Discover, Vanguard and quotes for all of my stock/mutual fund holdings up and running. I have not had any luck with Chase or my local credit union. It appears chase requires a monthly fee if we want to be able to download transactions even though I was able to do it without that subscription in Quicken. I can live without Chase since I rarely use that card but it would be really nice to get the credit union up and running since that is my every day bank account.

I don't know if I need to move this to another part of the forum but this is the error I receive: "Maximum invalid signon count exceeded. Please contact your financial institution for assistance." I find this error to be odd because I can go to the bank site and log in with no problem. Typically, if you exceed the sign on attempts, you are locked out or have to reset the password. If I should move this topic to another thread, let me know. The institution is Wright Patt CU. I pulled any missing information from the OFX file that I downloaded from my bank site but I still can't get it to work using the data from the OFX Directory or Moneydance's information.

Thanks again!

Friday, February 9, 2018 12:50 AM
  • Regarding Chase and PocketSense, did you look through http://pocketsense.blogspot.com/2017/11/new-version-available-includes-yahoo.html#comment-form ?

It is sometimes hard to know when people are talking bank vs credit card.

Friday, February 9, 2018 4:09 AM
  • Cal, thanks for the link! I was able to get my Chase credit cards up and working. I had to go into my Chase site and confirm my identity in the secure message center and then I was good to go. If I could just get my credit union working, then I will have a completely automated process just like I had with Quicken. I may contact the tech dept and see if they have a resolution for the error I'm receiving. 

UPDATE: I spoke with the tech dept at my credit union and the OFX server uses a different password than my bank logon. I was trying to use my bank logon password so that locked the account. They were able to give me a new one and the download works! I am a very happy MS Money user!

Thanks again to all those who helped me through this!

• Edited by AJPoe1700 Friday, February 9, 2018 4:50 PM
    Friday, February 9, 2018 12:39 PM
  • It looks like I have one more question (for now). I've created my Ticker account and added holdings to it. I also have all my tickers in the sites file along with the getdata set to download quotes. It works great... but only appears to work great once a day. If I run the getdata in the morning, it updates my stock prices. When I run it again later in the day, it does not. Will MS money now allow a price update more than once in a day?
    Friday, February 9, 2018 9:23 PM
  • When you download OFX broker files or get quotes via Yahoo, and Pocketsense, only once per day.

If you want intraday you want Gaier MSMoneyQuotes

http://gaiersoftware.com/Money

On scheduling PocketSense, I execute a batch file triggered in the wee hours. That is to allow for a time of flux in preparation of the broker's OFX.  Around midnight or so ET there used to be some problem on occasion.
    Friday, February 9, 2018 9:46 PM