Backing up Windows 7 Home Premium and WHS support RRS feed

• Question

• I have been made aware that Windows XP will be unsupported (from my understanding Security Updates will still be available until 2014) starting in July.  This is a very interesting decision, considering that Windows 7 doesn't have the business base yet as Win XP does.  With this news, I was looking into putting together a new system for a family member, and back up their computer to my home server.  I understand that Windows 7 Home Premium does not support image backups.  Is this averted when backing up to a Home Server, or will backups be limited to user files and other selected files?  Also, are backups only supported for computers physically on the network, or can they be backed up using VPN? 

I've tried to test this, but can't seem to get my computer to connect to the server using the console.  I need to remote into the server through the VPN connection.  One last question, with mainstream support ending for SBS 2003, will this effect the support for WHS as well with regards to service packs, etc?  Any thoughts on changing WHS base OS to SBS 2008 w/ an AD option?  I've tested and liked SBS 2008, but just can't afford the cost, and like the features of WHS.
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 3:52 AM

Answers

• Windows 7: All versions of Windows 7 are supported by Windows Home Server.

Backups/VPN: Backups over a VPN are not supported. They can usually be done anyway, but you will be unable to restore a home computer except over a site to site VPN link (and then it's impractical, as it would take days, most likely).

Future versions: Microsoft has not made any announcements regarding the specifics of future versions of Windows Home Server. Regarding Active Directory support, it seems unlikely that Microsoft would add it to a "home" product, as Active Directory is very much out of place in the home.

Regarding your trouble connecting to your server using the console: have you installed the connector on your computer? Is the systray icon some color other than grey? Have you performed standard basic network troubleshooting tests? (I.e. ping, both by name and by IP address, comparing ipconfig on various machines to make sure subnets, gateways, etc. are properly defined, etc.)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:48 AM

All replies

• Windows 7: All versions of Windows 7 are supported by Windows Home Server.

Backups/VPN: Backups over a VPN are not supported. They can usually be done anyway, but you will be unable to restore a home computer except over a site to site VPN link (and then it's impractical, as it would take days, most likely).

Future versions: Microsoft has not made any announcements regarding the specifics of future versions of Windows Home Server. Regarding Active Directory support, it seems unlikely that Microsoft would add it to a "home" product, as Active Directory is very much out of place in the home.

Regarding your trouble connecting to your server using the console: have you installed the connector on your computer? Is the systray icon some color other than grey? Have you performed standard basic network troubleshooting tests? (I.e. ping, both by name and by IP address, comparing ipconfig on various machines to make sure subnets, gateways, etc. are properly defined, etc.)
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:48 AM
  • "Regarding your trouble connecting to your server using the console: have you installed the connector on your computer? Is the systray icon some color other than grey? Have you performed standard basic network troubleshooting tests? (I.e. ping, both by name and by IP address, comparing ipconfig on various machines to make sure subnets, gateways, etc. are properly defined, etc.)"

The connector is installed and is grey.  The server responds to a ping, I'm able to access the shared folders, and use RD to connect.  I'm using Hamachi LogMeIn for VPN software.  I'm guessing that the console is simply timing out, possibly because of limited upload speed around 400kbps. The server is running on a HP ML360 series server.

Thanks for the other info.  I had a feeling that AD wouldn't be provided.  I was hoping it may be hidden in the Add/Remove Windows Features, but no luck.  Oh, well, no big deal.
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 3:32 PM
  • Are you expecting the connector (and the console) to work from afar? It probably won't, unless you establish a traditional VPN connection between your remote location and your home. For remote access to your server, configure the Remote Access web site, which will allow you to get to the console.
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 3:54 PM