"add-on" pack to support remote desktop feature RRS feed

• Question

• I'd suggest Microsoft should consider (if they aren't already!) offering some sort of add-on for those client OSs that don't have RDP as standard. I see this issue being a PR problem in their target market.

Gordon

Thursday, June 7, 2007 2:42 PM

All replies

• I agree this could be a roadblock to potential market penetration, even if some will adopt ultimate on their machines, I think more will simply see it as a bad move on Microsoft's part to get users to upgrade their machine's or go with the most expensive option.
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 3:08 PM
  • It's my understanding that (unfortunately) the inability to use remote desktop to connect to "home" versions of client OSs is one of the ways that Microsoft sells the "business" versions to businesses. Why would a business spend an extra $X.xx per seat for a "business" version, if they could get all of those capabilities in a "home" version?

So don't hold your breath...
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 4:31 PM
  • Ken,

I realise that they need to differentiate between versions, but I suspect a large %age of the target market will have Home  Premium from one of the big names like PCWorld or Best Buy where the knowledge of the average sales person gives the potential to "mis-sell" WHS features. I was thinking of a crippled  RDP to talk to WHS, rather than the full monty, although I may not have made that clear in the first post.

Gordon

Thursday, June 7, 2007 5:32 PM
  • these are all valid points (in my opinion) and I have been wondering many of the same things for a while now. Is it possible for one of the WHS team members to comment on this with the "official" viewpoint.

thanks

Thursday, June 7, 2007 5:56 PM
  • Isn't this exactly what Microsoft Vista's "Windows Anytime Upgrade" feature is all about?

https://na.windowsanytimeupgradestore.com/WAU_DIRECT/Home.aspx

My PC came with Vista Home Premium. However, I realized that I needed Vista Ultimate because I was going on an extended vacation and really needed remote access to my Vista PC via WHS. Thus, I simply paid the additional money (about $100 from one of the participating vendors) to upgrade to Vista Ultimate. The Anytime Upgrade process upgraded my Home Premium box to the Ultimate version without loosing any of my programs or settings. It worked great! I'm not sure the remote access feature alone would be worth the additional money to all people, but it was to me since I really needed to be able to access my PC while I was away.

Thursday, June 7, 2007 7:22 PM
  • Yeah, as I posted elsewhere I agree with Gordon. 

I think there should be a version that is "bound" to your WHS server and not the general purpose RD client. This feature is one of the main selling points and it'll be interesting to see how they market this to avoid causing problems from people who don't have the appropriate versions. I would be pretty pissed off to discover I had to upgrade just to get that feature when I'd just paid for a WHS machine.

Thursday, June 7, 2007 8:43 PM
  • What is interesting is on the Windows Home Server micro-site (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/features.mspx):

"Remote Access to Your PCs

Windows Home Server lets you access your PCs, photos, home videos, and more from a Web-connected PC. You can also upload photos and other files to your home server remotely. Even give restricted access to your friends and family so they can upload or download information to your home server."

No little footnotes quoting 'depending on your PCs operating system' so you never know, we may be jumping the gun and there may be a restricted remote desktop in the RC/RTM version.

Perhaps a little clarification from Microsoft, either a yah or nah.

I do agree 100% though - there seems little point pushing this as an advantage for a home product if most home computers would be running a home operating system which couldn't benefit from this feature 

- D

Thursday, June 7, 2007 9:19 PM
  • how is it "restricted" access when my WHS users who only have outside access (read: family and friends given logins to share photos and files) are shown the computers available for RDS and their status?  How about access/file permissions for the directories they can view... ex: they can upload and view but cannot delete?
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 9:24 PM
  • I think that's a different issue, virtuapete; we're talking specifically about Remote Desktop.
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 10:24 PM
  • Yes I would endorse the suggestion of some sort of add-on pack that provided Remote Desktop access to WHS connected desktops only - as I too think there is scope for plenty of "marketing confusion" amongst the community to which it is being targeted.

I note the comment about the "Windows Anytime Upgrade", but for some of us in non-US markets, it is not available - as in:

"Windows Anytime Upgrade is not available in your country/region at this time. You can purchase the edition of Windows Vista you are interested in at a Microsoft authorized merchant." H'm at an RRP of the equivalent of US$433, I don't think so.

Thursday, June 7, 2007 11:14 PM
  • I don't buy that.

They could have Remote Desktop for a Home Premium machine and businesses would still have to buy Vista Business.  Vista Home Premium does not support domains.  Vista Business and Vista Ultimate do.  Any business with any number of PCs uses domain controllers so domain support is most likely required on the client.  That still wouldn't be available in Vista Home Premium.

It's silly of Microsoft not to enable this on Vista Home Premium.

Friday, June 8, 2007 7:34 AM