WHS Wired Behavior To Home Network RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have the old mediasmart server E470.  it is connected (with the wire) to a Dlink Dir-655 router.

I notice that whenever the server is doing heavy hard-disk operations, (e.g. copy/move 10 Gb of files from this drive to that drive), the home network is disturbed. in other words, all other laptops (and devices) wirelessly connected to the router will loss connection(temporary unavailable), until the WHS disk operation finishes.

I had this issue for long time and have searched the solution online, and did not find anyone complain about similar situation. so, I upgrade the router's firmware, and that did not solve the problem.  the media smart server's is also using the latest service pack.

I am trying to find answers here.  Do you guys think it is the media smart server's issue or it is WHS OS's issue or it is a router's issue?  what are the poteitial causes of disturbing to the home network?

Thanks in advance

Frank

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 2:34 PM

All replies

• If you're doing heavy I/O via the shares, you may be saturating your network bandwidth. This is particularly easy to do if you're using a wireless connection for (more or less) everything, which is the way it sounds.

You can try adding a wired switch and connect some clients that way, you can try replacing your router with one that offers better wireless performance, or you can turn off wireless in your router and use a separate wireless access point. The wired connection is most likely to help.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 3:26 PM