Incremental backups corrupted on DVD RRS feed

• Question

• OS - Vista Pro

OneCare - latest version AFAIK, I did reset the preferences in backup plan.

Problem - Backup and verify cycle go fine. Usually strides two disks for the

initial full. The next time, the incrimental disk is asked for and rejected as

corrupted. I can read the disk on another drive (different make - dvd reader vs

dvd writer ) and the original full on both of my dvd drives. I've tried rebooting and

gently cleaning ( blown air ) the back-up drive with no luck. Drivers are

up-to-day according to Vista.

This only started happening after upgrade to the 2.0 version of OneCare. Seems

that adding an incrimental backup to an existing DVD is not working for me.

Normally I'd suspect bad hardware - but that does not explain the verify cycle

claiming to be ok. Any ideas?

Saturday, September 20, 2008 3:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Gregg, I suggest contacting support for help with this issue. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Sunday, September 21, 2008 2:32 PM
  • Will do - thank you.

Monday, September 22, 2008 4:12 PM
  • I did contact MS support and got very good help from them - the detailed response was

really nice.

In my case, it appears the solution was to re-install the PX backup engine. Incrementals

are working once again - yay!

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 6:43 PM
  • Thanks for the update, Gregg S. Glad to read that all is well. Did support provide written instruction on how to reinstall the PX backup engine? If so, could you either forward that to me at sboots@mvps.org or post them here, removing email addresses and names from the message? Thanks!

-steve

Thursday, September 25, 2008 4:37 PM
  • I just sent the details. In summary it was basically just find the PX engine's .msi file and right-click

to use the uninstall option. Reboot and then re-run that same file.

Saturday, September 27, 2008 3:27 PM
  • Thanks, Gregg. I received your email.

-steve

Monday, September 29, 2008 5:28 PM