IBM T41 - NTFS.SYS crash - Re-Install with XP Pro Copy RRS feed

• Question

• Tansi, Hello ...

I have spent since yesterday trying to read posts on this forum, but after following Phil's recommendations, I have a similar problem to Taylor99.

Synopsis:

Wireless Windows Update - system freeze, total crash.  T41 under warranty called IBM - Tech support: since "NTFS.SYS" not found, full recovery requiring reformat and reinstall (IBM and my University provided 4 disk rescue/recover set; no XP software).

Not so! say I - I have to figure it out. 

Tried everything using DOS / BIOS managed to successfully load XP copy. 

Current info:

1. Note: Product Key update failure.  The application has encountered an error while downloading required files from Microsoft.  Please ensure the macine is connected to the Internet and try again. [Error: 0x8007043b]
    2. Diagnostic Report (1.5.0540.0):

-----------------------------------------

WGA Data-->

Genuine Validation Status: Blocked VLK

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-C9CR2-8W7H4-X9V2J

T41 - WPK *****-*****-*****-R92KR-4VG48

Reinstalled with: *****-*****-4WRXX-BKDRT-7HG48

Windows Product Key Hash: Ey+5goF2Enaw9xXQlH2zUb/DNMw=

Windows Product ID: 55274-647-2797271-23699

Windows Product ID Type: 1

Windows License Type: Volume

Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.1.0.pro

Download Center code: DFFBJTD

ID: 5401998c-7585-45a8-a457-f7cb8b6cafca

Is Admin: Yes

AutoDial: No

Registry: 0x0

WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.530.0

Signature Type: Microsoft

Validation Diagnostic:

a. Why is there such a discrepancy in WGA Key?

b. Why am I unable to obtain "Product Key" update? W/L 802.11b

If unavoidable, will load the IBM 4 Disk set and other software after removing all working files, pics and docs created.  I would prefer not to do this if at all possible, please respond via post or email (personal if requested).

Thank you!

taylor99 wrote:

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0540.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Genuine Validation Status: Not Activated
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-GD6GR-K6DP3-4C8MT
    Windows Product Key Hash: s2kt66ZJWfV4nS1wFD5F9bxTSDw=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2111907-00102
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    Download Center code: QKPNWG5
    ID: d4b07f36-b92e-428d-82bf-74e89e54341f
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.532.2
    Signature Type: Microsoft
    Validation Diagnostic:

Friday, July 7, 2006 6:13 PM

Answers

• The Product Key Update Tool can be used to change your Product Key over to the

(R92KR-4VG48)  Part# 32P4414  Barcode 00045-500-939-887  X10-23533 Windows XP Professional 1-2CPU.

However, with NTFS.SyS not working correctly (and is way out of the technical capabilities of the forum), I would suggest escalating through support (www.support.microsoft.com) and having specialized suggestions. But, if they say its a non-recoverable error, then I'm not sure what to do outside of their original suggestion to reinstall with the product key above. :(

Friday, July 7, 2006 7:53 PM

All replies

• Metisse,

Use the IBM utilities to scan your hard disk for defects and for file system errors and repair if possible.

Friday, July 7, 2006 6:28 PM
  • Thanks Dan,

Already done - current prob is that I utilized XP Copy vs IBM rescue/Recover set so now I am not WGA recognized - continue to get pop-up warnings that is not Valid.

Tools suggested by Phil to correct this problem I have not been able to download.  See thread: http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=420092&SiteID=25

*puzzled*

Lori ^_^

Friday, July 7, 2006 6:48 PM
  • Lori:

Can you run the MGA Diagnostics tool on the computer recieving problems (located here http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 ) and post its output in its ENTIRETY?

Also, can you walk me through what you're trying to do?

-phil liu

Friday, July 7, 2006 6:52 PM
  • Have you taken your computer to a repair shop lately either? The copy of XP currently installed on your computer is labeled as Volume and shouldn't be installed on a retail PC.

-phil liu

Friday, July 7, 2006 6:53 PM
  • Metisse,

You are trying to use a unauthorized copy of an XP Pro VL edition to repair your installed copy of XP that has suffered a crash.

IMO this is an unwise decision, as there is no telling what vulnerabilities the nongenuine installation of XP will introduce into your system.  Hacked and Cracked copies of XP can contain viruses, malware, and rootkits that have the potential to compromise the stability of the installation as well as compromise your personal information.

My advice---bite the bullet and use the manufacturer-supplied recovery discs to restore a genuine, safe installation of XP back onto your computer.

Friday, July 7, 2006 6:56 PM
  • Metisse:

The product key that is originally detected is not genuine and is labeled as a Volume License Key for XP Professional that is not labeled for retail sale (C9CR2-8W7H4-X9V2J)

The product key that you are attempting to reinstall with (4WRXX-BKDRT-7HG48) is not genuine either, and is a blocked Volume License Key for XP Professional 64Bit.

The product key on your system label on the bottom (R92KR-4VG48) should be the one to use (and is labeled XP Home or Pro, 32 or 64 bit?)

Did you have your system reinstalled at a repair shop?

I don't know why the repair shop is attempting to reinstall with XP 64 bit or where they may have gotten the Product Key, but both copies are non-genuine and will be blocked.

Use the COA Product Key on the bottom of your PC. If you're trying to use the COA Product Key with Product Key Update tool - can you verify if you're using it for XP Home? Pro? 64 bit? 32 bit? Do you have any firewalls or proxy servers?

-phil liu

Friday, July 7, 2006 7:10 PM
  • Dear Phil and Dan,

I seem to have created some confusion.

About 3 weeks ago my laptop "Crashed" doing a wireless Windows Update.  I was unable to reboot, so did the normal function processes to restore to "last known good config" and was still given message that the "NTFS.SYS" file was corrupted. 

I then tried to b/u and load a NTFS.SYS to replace the corrupted copy with no success.

IBM said software, not under warranty go to MS but also suggested reformat.  MS Tech's said same as IBM regarding reformat as it was an unrecoverable error.  I had UNI work, webpage design, dB's, projects and pics that were backed up to the HD and was loathe to lose everything.

After playing around with every possible scenerio and talking to some of my propeller head friends, we had a couple of options, remove HD and slave to access info or reinstall XP.  I was lent an XP copy which I was to return once I fixed my laptop.

I didn't receive XP software, only 4 Rescue/Recovery Disks labelled "DO NOT THROW AWAY" 2373-4NU along with some specialized sofware such as Dragon to help accomodate my disability.  This package cost the Disability Services at my School over $ 4,000.00CDN - and my WGA ending  (R92KR-4VG48) must be loaded on these.

After I remove everything (it this is only way to resolve) I will reformat and follow IBM recommendations.  Truthfully, I didn't want to have to do that ^_^

Lori ^_^

=== Edited by Metisse @ 07 Jul 2006 7:35 PM UTC===
    Whoops, Phil:

WGA  (R92KR-4VG48)  Part# 32P4414  Barcode 00045-500-939-887  X10-23533 Windows XP Professional 1-2CPU

Friday, July 7, 2006 7:30 PM
  • The Product Key Update Tool can be used to change your Product Key over to the

(R92KR-4VG48)  Part# 32P4414  Barcode 00045-500-939-887  X10-23533 Windows XP Professional 1-2CPU.

However, with NTFS.SyS not working correctly (and is way out of the technical capabilities of the forum), I would suggest escalating through support (www.support.microsoft.com) and having specialized suggestions. But, if they say its a non-recoverable error, then I'm not sure what to do outside of their original suggestion to reinstall with the product key above. :(

Friday, July 7, 2006 7:53 PM