Folder Empty in backup location RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Steve!  It Jules here.  Thanks for letting me know about this forum!

I have a couple questions about OneCare backup.  I looked in the location of the backup to check to see if my scheduled backup occurred.  Two things.  First, I can't open the folder, it tells me access is denied, which may be OK for security, I can look at the backup report to see what was backed up.  But the folder also reads as empty, Properties tells me there are no files in the folder.  Is this as it should be?  My backup reports all tell me the backup was completed successfully and lists the files that were backed up. 

I have three machines I am using OneCare on and one of the them as a hub.  Backups are scheduled to backup to an external hard drive attached to the hub machine.  The hub is running XP as well as one of the other machines, and the third is running VIsta. 

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks,
    Jules

Friday, February 1, 2008 6:58 PM

Answers

• Hi, Jules, and welcome. :-)

Yes, the backup folder is protected by OneCare. I'm not sure why properties is showing it as empty, though. Is this XP Pro or Home? Are you logged on as an administrator and looking at properties while logged onto the hub PC where the drive is attached? If you're looking at it from the remote machine over the network, I think it will not show the space used.

You can, however, use the Restore Wizard to walk part way into a restore - select the custom restore and browse the available files. Select one or two to restore and if they restore (they should) you'll know that the backup has indeed worked.

-steve

Saturday, February 2, 2008 3:33 AM

All replies

• Hi, Jules, and welcome. :-)

Yes, the backup folder is protected by OneCare. I'm not sure why properties is showing it as empty, though. Is this XP Pro or Home? Are you logged on as an administrator and looking at properties while logged onto the hub PC where the drive is attached? If you're looking at it from the remote machine over the network, I think it will not show the space used.

You can, however, use the Restore Wizard to walk part way into a restore - select the custom restore and browse the available files. Select one or two to restore and if they restore (they should) you'll know that the backup has indeed worked.

-steve

Saturday, February 2, 2008 3:33 AM
  • Good idea, Steve, I will try a partial restore to see if there is anything there. 

To answer the first part of your reply...The machine runs XP Pro and I am logged on as admin.  I have been having some network problems and may have to configure a new router.  It's about 3 or 4 years old, a Belkin wireless and it needs to be reset more than it should be I think.  I'm having trouble with Remote Desktop.  And also, since adding a Vista laptop, I'm not able to see all computers from every machine.  So adding this backup problem, if it is one, to the equation, it may be time to bite the bullet and set up a new router. 

I'll let you know what happens.....

THANKS!

Jules

Saturday, February 2, 2008 1:41 PM
  • I checked all the machines, and the files are there, odd the folder reads as empty. 

Thanks for your help! 

Jules

Saturday, February 2, 2008 6:24 PM
  • You're welcome, Jules, and good luck with the new router. I'm looking into replacing mine one of these days, too.

-steve

Monday, February 4, 2008 4:40 PM