Checking/validating windows home server backup RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had a failed recovery effort involving an i/o cluster error issue refered to in a couple hundred posts in this forum.  I ended up doing a 'custom install'/bare metal on Windows 7 on the machine in question.  Fortunately, it was not a main machine and so little was lost.

I have Home Server backing up 3 other machines that I care more about and want to know if there is a way of testing Home Server backups to see if they will run before I really need them. My faith in Home Server (which BTW reported no disk problems, connectivity issues, or problems of any kind prior to this backup failure has been severely compromised.

I have thought of having buying a spare hard drive to test bare metal installs on, but two of the machines in question are laptops so that gets a little complicated...backup software (Acronis) I have used in the past has had utilities to validate backups...

Friday, July 1, 2011 4:29 PM

All replies

• There is nothing like actually doing it (as opposed to relying on some test software which may or not work) which includes making sure you have all the right drivers to hand etc. I would therefore suggest investing in a spare HDD and perhaps an adapter (cables) to allow it to be used in your laptops as well.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 4:34 PM
  • I agree. However, I have to say that all this WHS backup failure talk is quite the reality for the MS systems. I have given up using Windows 7 backup as my primary backup and have gone back to Ghost. I feel pretty comfortable with Ghost and normally will have 3 or more disk images/drive. Even with Ghost one out of those 3 images may be bad..... In Ghost there is a way to verify the images after they are taken. (I actually run both systems... belt and suspenders). Indeed it is no worse checking a backup for a laptop as it is very easy to buy a small cheap disk and test it.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 5:13 PM