NIC/Network Requirements for Interior Server interfaces in a Scaled Single-Site Edge Topology RRS feed

• Question

• I am working with a customer on their OCS design in which the plan is to use a Scaled Single-Site Edge Topology and I have a question regarding best practices for NIC requirements.  The OCS Planning Guide indicates that two NIC’s are required, one internal, one external with an IP for the Web Conferencing and Access Edge roles assigned to each along with an internal IP.  IE five IP’s all together.   I get all of that.  However, the internal Access Edge IP must be load balanced and the internal Web Conferencing IP  is not.  There is only one physical interface that must be connected to either a load balancer port or a layer two switch connected to a load balancer to provide load balancing for the interior Access Edge IP.   Load balancer typically only respond to VIP IP’s. 

So here’s the question.      How does Microsoft recommend customers configure their network to support a single interior interface in a Scaled Single-Site Edge Topology to allow both direct access to the interior Web Conferencing IP from the Front End servers and a VIP for the interior Access Edge IP.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 4:48 PM

All replies