windows 7 in Vmware player RRS feed

• Question

• I study cybercrime at school. They told us to install Windows 7 in Vmware Player.

I would like to install the 32-bit Ultimate version. but i don't have a  (seccond) key.

My main OS is W7 Ultimate 64-bit and i read somewhere you can re-use the product key of your ultimate version in virtual machines (up to 4).

Is this correct?

Thursday, February 16, 2012 8:47 AM

Answers

• What you read only applies to Windows Server Enterprise licenses.  Those licenses include the right to run the same Windows license in up to four virtual machines on the server.  It is part of the server license.  It is not part of a Windows 7 license.  Your Windows 7 Ultimate license reads,

Use with Virtualization Technologies. Instead of using the software directly on the licensed computer, you may install and use the software within only one virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system on the licensed computer.

The operative words are "Instead of" and "only one". 

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:13 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• What you read only applies to Windows Server Enterprise licenses.  Those licenses include the right to run the same Windows license in up to four virtual machines on the server.  It is part of the server license.  It is not part of a Windows 7 license.  Your Windows 7 Ultimate license reads,

Use with Virtualization Technologies. Instead of using the software directly on the licensed computer, you may install and use the software within only one virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system on the licensed computer.

The operative words are "Instead of" and "only one". 

Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:13 PM
    Answerer
  • Does that mean that if i remove Windows 7 from my laptop the VM copy will "become genuine"? (Because it would then by "instead of" and "only one" instance) 

I have a notebook with Windows 7 Enterprise installed. I used vmWare vCenter Converter 5 to image my machine into a VM. All fine for about 3 days then I got the "Windows is not genuine" message on the blue screen. 

My plan is to put Linux on my notebook and run my Enterprise installation in a VM BUT I don't want to commit until I know the VM is stable and that I haven't missed out/lost anything valuable. So I run the two in parallel before taking the plunge (and good think I did if Win7 is going to act crazy inside the VM). 

So if I remove Win 7 from my notebook, the VM installation is the only version running, does it suddenly become "genuine"?

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:08 PM
  • "Brent Engelbrecht" wrote in message news:be2bb906-7e3c-447d-a3e4-b97de1c90337...

Does that mean that if i remove Windows 7 from my laptop the VM copy will "become genuine"? (Because it would then by "instead of" and "only one" instance)

I have a notebook with Windows 7 Enterprise installed. I used vmWare vCenter Converter 5 to image my machine into a VM. All fine for about 3 days then I got the "Windows is not genuine" message on the blue screen.

My plan is to put Linux on my notebook and run my Enterprise installation in a VM BUT I don't want to commit until I know the VM is stable and that I haven't missed out/lost anything valuable. So I run the two in parallel before taking the plunge (and good think I did if Win7 is going to act crazy inside the VM).

So if I remove Win 7 from my notebook, the VM installation is the only version running, does it suddenly become "genuine"?

No -
    Enterprise is a Volume License only edition of Windows.
    The VM is non-genuine because the hardware visibly to the install has changed significantly - not because of a licensing problem (we hope, anyhow!)
    You can simply re-activate the VM assuming you have enough spare activations left on the Key.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:42 PM
  • It means that you can use the OEM copy of Windows that shipped with the laptop in a vm provided that it is not in use elsewhere on the laptop (inlcuding not having been used as the basis for an upgrade).  It is valid to run Linux as the host for the laptop and the original OEM copy of Windows in a vm in VMWare running on your Linux host.  However, your laptop did not ship with Enterprise so I don't know how you are set up.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:04 PM
    Answerer