Old computer does not have enough space, but I cannot delete files RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old computer with a ton of important data.  This computer has two drives, each is a 40 gig scsi with 5-7 gigs free space.  I purchased a new 1 terabyte external hard drive and created a shared directory on it to backup the computers on my home network.  My first computer, which has hundreds of gigs free space, backed up fine to its shared directory.  This computer with the smaller drives, though, reported that it did not have enough free disk space to backup.

What the heck?  It's a 1 terabyte drive.  So, i went and checked and found out that you need as much *free space* on the drives to be backed up as you need space on your backup media.  How the heck is that useful?  I have drives loaded with old pictures and things, and I have a 1 terabyte hard drive.  Please tell me how I can get onecare to backup the data like it is supposed to be doing.

Thanks!

Friday, September 12, 2008 8:03 AM

Answers

• If you cannot free up space on the source drives, I'd suggest editing the backup plan to reduce the amount of data that will be backed up. Perhaps the current selection includes data that you don't really want to have backed up.

Other than that, you have encountered a limitation in OneCare's backup process and you would need to manually backup/copy the data to the new external drive if you can't get OneCare's backup to back up what you want without freeing up space on the source drive(s).

-steve

Friday, September 12, 2008 4:38 PM