WHS restore to new drive = can't see new 1.5 tb drive? RRS feed

• Question

• My primary boot drive failed.  Well I've got WHS, with service packs!  I plugged in a new sata Samsung 1.5tb drive. Had Win7-64bit. Finally figured it how to add Vista 32 bits drivers (took a while) then when I get to the drive screen the new Samsung is not there.  Refresh,still not there.  Rebooted, went into Bios and it shows there.

Since I'm in a hurry I'll probably pull and extra 650gb drive from another computer, and use that. I'm pretty sure that drive works, I restored to it before.   Then I'll have to replace and restore that drive, but it is data only.

BUT...any ideas why it wouldn't work? Think it is missing a windows driver or is it just too big?

Thanks

Gary in Salisbury, MD USA

Gary L McCready

Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:27 PM

All replies

• It sounds like a driver issue; if a drive isn't visible in the list of drives that usually indicates that there are no drivers available for the drive controller.

I see two options:

1. Figure out exactly what driver you need.
    2. Connect the drive to some other computer and do the restore there.

For option 2, you potentially have a couple of sub-options:

1. If you are running Windows Home Server V1 (which I think is the case), you will find a program in the installation folder for the connector named clientrestorewizard.exe. You can run that and use it to restore to the new drive. This is exactly the same code that would perform the bare metal restore, just hosted in a fully functional Windows environment. This will only work on Windows Home Server V1. If you're using Windows Home Server 2011, you're forced to:
    2. Run the bare metal restore on the new computer, from flash drive or optical disk. This works with either version.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:47 PM
  • You could try to boot from your Windows DVD and start the installation to check, if the disk is seen and the installation can create the needed volumes.

After installation is initially completed, you can target the now existing volume to restore.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, August 24, 2012 12:48 PM