WHS 2011 Restore issue RRS feed

• Question

• All,
    I thought it was about time to try to do some restore testing on my new WHS 2011 box and now I've got an issue with the backupreader.sys driver that gets installed (Windows Server Solutions Computer Restore Driver). There are two indicators of the issue. First is the client telling me that the driver is being 'blocked from loading' when I try to read one of the backups. The second is (in device manager) I see the entry with the yellow caution and the error "Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)".

I've tried reinstalling the connector software, manually installed the device driver, as well as the sole MSFT suggestion of attempting to update the driver (which just tells me that the driver is up to date).

It seems this may have been an issue during the beta and RC days - but its not clear that it got resolved.

Obviously having all the backups in the world don't help if I can't restore them - has any one else seen this and been able to resolve it?

I should also add that when I try to do a manual backup, I get about 18% through and the server locks up tighter than a drum and I have to power cycle it (a warm reboot doesn't work).

Friday, June 17, 2011 11:31 PM

Answers