MGADiag/System Properties Product ID difference: Should I be concerned? RRS feed

• Question

• In checking a number of systems and a couple of client systems I note that on ALL the XP SP3 systems the Product Id reported on 'System Properties' and held in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ is subtly different to that reported by MGADiag.

In all cases the seven digit number after the OEM string has had 2200003 added to it.

For example see MGADiag listing I posted in http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/56969e67-94c1-4ccb-b3f9-50cf7d1a49c5, which reports a PID of 76487-OEM-2260855-99732, whereas 'System Properties gives a PID of 76487-OEM-0060852-99732.

With the brand new Windows 7 machine, MGADiag and 'System Properties' report identical PID's.

So the questions are: is what I am seeing expected behaviour from the current version of MGADiag or not? and should I be doing anything about it?

Kind regards

Roland

[Aside: I like MGADiag, it enabled me to gain a new client this weekend as I was able to show: their VLK license was illegal and also why they were now seeing MS payment demands and reduced functionality. Client thought popup payment demands originated from malware (well trained client!) so as their normal support provider was non-contactable a friend of their's suggested I take a look... What made me smile was that all machines were Dell's and had DELL OEM COA's attached which permitted them to run exactly the same version of Windows as the pirated VLK...]

Monday, November 21, 2011 1:22 PM

Answers

• "RB16" wrote in message news:63c3fe32-a135-48ee-9864-3901e327b363...

In checking a number of systems and a couple of client systems I note that on ALL the XP SP3 systems the Product Id reported on 'System Properties' and held in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ is subtly different to that reported by MGADiag.

In all cases the seven digit number after the OEM string has had 2200003 added to it.

For example see MGADiag listing I posted in http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/56969e67-94c1-4ccb-b3f9-50cf7d1a49c5, which reports a PID of 76487-OEM-2260855-99732, whereas 'System Properties gives a PID of 76487-OEM-0060852-99732.

With the brand new Windows 7 machine, MGADiag and 'System Properties' report identical PID's.

So the questions are: is what I am seeing expected behaviour from the current version of MGADiag or not? and should I be doing anything about it?

Kind regards

Roland

[Aside: I like MGADiag, it enabled me to gain a new client this weekend as I was able to show: their VLK license was illegal and also why they were now seeing MS payment demands and reduced functionality. Client thought popup payment demands originated from malware (well trained client!) so as their normal support provider was non-contactable a friend of their's suggested I take a look... What made me smile was that all machines were Dell's and had DELL OEM COA's attached which permitted them to run exactly the same version of Windows as the pirated VLK...]

PID’s, unlike Keys are not unique – each Key type will belong to a different CID (Channel ID, the second group of characters) In XP,see the following article for further details.http://wiki.lunarsoft..net/wiki/Product_IDs

I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen a similar breakdown for Win 7

But yes – what you see in MGADiag is the norm, and is what should be displayed at the bottom of the System page in Win7, or the System Properties popup in XP. If you’re not seeing that, it may be that the the algorithm has changed slightly since the inception of OEM_SLP Keys, and the tool is misreporting older ID’s, or is recalculating it using the newer algorithm.
    I don’t think it’s anything to worry about, as the only time a PID is actually of value is when attempting to contact MS for support, and the tool used for that would almost certainly be aware of both values.

Darin may have more to say on the subject.

(OT - I also run MGADiag routinely on PC’s I come into contact with – it’s funny what you can learn about a user’s habits that way <g>)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, November 21, 2011 11:01 PM
    Monday, November 21, 2011 2:27 PM

All replies

• "RB16" wrote in message news:63c3fe32-a135-48ee-9864-3901e327b363...

In checking a number of systems and a couple of client systems I note that on ALL the XP SP3 systems the Product Id reported on 'System Properties' and held in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ is subtly different to that reported by MGADiag.

So the questions are: is what I am seeing expected behaviour from the current version of MGADiag or not? and should I be doing anything about it?

Kind regards

Roland

[Aside: I like MGADiag, it enabled me to gain a new client this weekend as I was able to show: their VLK license was illegal and also why they were now seeing MS payment demands and reduced functionality. Client thought popup payment demands originated from malware (well trained client!) so as their normal support provider was non-contactable a friend of their's suggested I take a look... What made me smile was that all machines were Dell's and had DELL OEM COA's attached which permitted them to run exactly the same version of Windows as the pirated VLK...]

PID’s, unlike Keys are not unique – each Key type will belong to a different CID (Channel ID, the second group of characters) In XP,see the following article for further details.http://wiki.lunarsoft..net/wiki/Product_IDs

I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen a similar breakdown for Win 7

But yes – what you see in MGADiag is the norm, and is what should be displayed at the bottom of the System page in Win7, or the System Properties popup in XP. If you’re not seeing that, it may be that the the algorithm has changed slightly since the inception of OEM_SLP Keys, and the tool is misreporting older ID’s, or is recalculating it using the newer algorithm.
    I don’t think it’s anything to worry about, as the only time a PID is actually of value is when attempting to contact MS for support, and the tool used for that would almost certainly be aware of both values.

Darin may have more to say on the subject.

(OT - I also run MGADiag routinely on PC’s I come into contact with – it’s funny what you can learn about a user’s habits that way <g>)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, November 21, 2011 11:01 PM
    Monday, November 21, 2011 2:27 PM
  • I also just assumed that WGA had changed and that the PID algorithm was combining base OS release and SP's; but then my assumptions can be wrong.

But I'm happy that no one has wrapped my knuckles <g>)

Roland

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 9:13 AM