Should I power off when adding or removing drives? RRS feed

• Question

• I have one of those 1TB Seagate drives with the questionable firmware currently installed as my second drive on my HP MSS EX470, with about 320gb used on it.  I haven't had any problems with it yet, but think it's safer to remove it at this point, and flash the firmware when I get a chance(I don't currently have any desktop with SATA connectors so it's gonna have to wait)

My plan is to purchase 2 Western Digital 1TB drives and remove the Seagate.

What is the best practice is in regards to adding and removing drives.  I've currently got duplication turned on, so I plan to install one of the 1tb drives in slot 3.  Should I be powering off the HP MSS before I insert the new drive in Slot 3? 

Once I've got the new WD 1TB drive in place, and prepare it in the console, I plan to remove the Seagate using the console, at which point I assume it will copy all of the files to the new 1tb drive leaving the Seagate empty.  At which point I assume the light on the seagate slot should turn purple..  

When removing the Seagate should I power off the server before removing it, or just remove it?

Once the Seagate is out of slot 2, I planned to put the other 1tb Western Digital into that slot, once again... should I power off while inserting the new drive, or is it ok to leave it on??

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:16 AM

Answers

• activoice said:

I have one of those 1TB Seagate drives with the questionable firmware currently installed as my second drive on my HP MSS EX470, with about 320gb used on it.  I haven't had any problems with it yet, but think it's safer to remove it at this point, and flash the firmware when I get a chance(I don't currently have any desktop with SATA connectors so it's gonna have to wait)

What is the best practice is in regards to adding and removing drives.  I've currently got duplication turned on, so I plan to install one of the 1tb drives in slot 3.  Should I be powering off the HP MSS before I insert the new drive in Slot 3? 

IMO, I wouldn't even consider leaving it on (best practice is to always shut down the computer when adding new hardware internally).  I mean, really, how long does it take to turn it off, add the drive, then turn it back on?

activoice said:

Once I've got the new WD 1TB drive in place, and prepare it in the console, I plan to remove the Seagate using the console, at which point I assume it will copy all of the files to the new 1tb drive leaving the Seagate empty.

Correct.

activoice said:

At which point I assume the light on the seagate slot should turn purple..  

When removing the Seagate should I power off the server before removing it, or just remove it?

Same logic as above.

activoice said:

Once the Seagate is out of slot 2, I planned to put the other 1tb Western Digital into that slot, once again... should I power off while inserting the new drive, or is it ok to leave it on??

Still same logic.
    • Edited by kariya21Moderator Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:25 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by activoice Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:20 PM
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:24 AM

All replies

• activoice said:

I have one of those 1TB Seagate drives with the questionable firmware currently installed as my second drive on my HP MSS EX470, with about 320gb used on it.  I haven't had any problems with it yet, but think it's safer to remove it at this point, and flash the firmware when I get a chance(I don't currently have any desktop with SATA connectors so it's gonna have to wait)

IMO, I wouldn't even consider leaving it on (best practice is to always shut down the computer when adding new hardware internally).  I mean, really, how long does it take to turn it off, add the drive, then turn it back on?

activoice said:

Once I've got the new WD 1TB drive in place, and prepare it in the console, I plan to remove the Seagate using the console, at which point I assume it will copy all of the files to the new 1tb drive leaving the Seagate empty.

Correct.

activoice said:

At which point I assume the light on the seagate slot should turn purple..  

Same logic as above.

activoice said:

Still same logic.
    • Edited by kariya21Moderator Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:25 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by activoice Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:20 PM
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:24 AM
  •  Check your manual. If it says the drive bays are hot-pluggable, then no, you don't need to turn the server off when adding or removing drives. SATA drives are designed to be hot-swappable, it just depends if the motherboard can cope. (Windows Server 2003 is certainly able to cope with it if the hardware can).
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:19 PM
  • Thanks, figured it's safer to power down, just wasn't sure what most people normally do.
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 11:26 PM
  • Richard Holland said:

Check your manual. If it says the drive bays are hot-pluggable, then no, you don't need to turn the server off when adding or removing drives. SATA drives are designed to be hot-swappable, it just depends if the motherboard can cope. (Windows Server 2003 is certainly able to cope with it if the hardware can).

Yes, I know what the manual says.  His question was "What is the best practice..."?  I still wouldn't do it.
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 11:51 PM