Cancelling One Care RRS feed

• Question

•  

Cancelling the One Care "service" is proving to be extremely difficult.

My attempts to arrange cancellation by email or by submitting a help form have not elicited any response from Microsoft billing support.

My only choices seem to be to either call an international number, or invalidate my credit card details on the site (and try to avoid subsequent charges by having my card company block any further deductions by Microsoft).

With the length of time these issues have been around, it's remarkable that Microsoft has still taken no action and is content to impede and annoy the people they are trying to sell to.  On the basis of my experience, I've already warned people off from using any service provided directly by Microsoft until they review and improve their code of business conduct.

I would love a UK contact telephone number to speak with someone from the OneCare billing team if anyone has managed to find one. 

Unfortunately part of the process for blocking further deductions by this company by my bank is to cancel and reissue my cards - an inconvenience I'd like to try an live without.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:30 PM

Answers

• Hello Mesopic, send an e-mail with One Care in the subject line to jrap107@msn.com and I will help you contact support.

Friday, November 21, 2008 1:03 AM

All replies

• Hello Mesopic, it is actually easy to cancel a One Care subscription. Go to billing - https://billing.microsoft.com/home.aspx sign in using the Live ID and password associated with your One Care account, select your One Care account, then select "Cancel this service".

Thursday, November 20, 2008 11:10 PM
  • Yeah i read this about microsoft killing one care next year 2009 end of june.My subscription ends 2009 august 31, hope it still supported till then.I just wished microsoft could of somehow got more support for onecare.I like onecare it saved my butt several times from viruses and since i used onecare i havent even got one spyware on my computer.There going to a free type version antivirus and no tuneup.I don't like symantec or mcafee.I probably will try microsoft free antivirus hope its as good as onecare.I had pretty good luck with Avast home edition but doesnt catch antispyware as well.Finally Microsoft did something  right for themselves and now its going to die, what a shame.
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 11:54 PM
  • Hello Nathaniel, just to clarify, One Care can be purchased through June 2009 and will be supported through 2010.

Friday, November 21, 2008 12:20 AM
  • JimR1,

It is actually far from easy.

When you go to billing, sign in using the correct login, select your one care account, and select 'cancel your service', what actually happens is you get the following pop up in a sidebar:

Cancel your Microsoft online services

To cancel your online service, you must contact Customer Support for the specific product or service. Depending on the service, you may be able to cancel by e-mail, telephone, or live chat. You cannot cancel prepaid services, such as MSN Hotmail prepaid service.

To contact Customer Support for your product or service, use one of the following methods:

• For MSN services, go to MSN Cancellation Support and select the service you want to cancel.
    • For Windows Live OneCare, go to the Windows Live One Care website.

Right now clicking the provided link sends you to msn.com, but earlier it was sending you to help.live.co/contactus, where it helpfully lists a chat support that is only availabble in the US and Canada, phone support via a US number, or an email support form that have tried twice now to raise a response from, unsuccesfully.

Please feel free to try and do this yourself. 

I assure you that there is no risk of you cancelling your own service while you experiment.  That is the problem.

Friday, November 21, 2008 12:33 AM
  • Thanks Jim, i didnt know that.Good i can subscribe one more time.
    Friday, November 21, 2008 12:39 AM
  • Hello Mesopic, send an e-mail with One Care in the subject line to jrap107@msn.com and I will help you contact support.

Friday, November 21, 2008 1:03 AM
  • If you sign in with your LiveID for your subscription and follow the instructions in the FAQ, you will be presented with a local phone number for your location for support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, November 21, 2008 3:07 AM