Does the RC enforce minimum spec? RRS feed

• Question

• I was quite happily running the Beta2 and CTP on my old P3-700 512mb Ram and a 40GIG and 30GIG drives. 40gig being the main drive. Now when trying the install the RC it says I need at least a 70GIG main drive.

I went back and reread the CTP docs and it does state that a 70GIG is required as minimum, but I had no problems installing.

So does the RC now check that you do have a 70GIG drive? Whereas before the beta and CTP didn't?

Will it check the processor speed as well noting I only have a 700mhz as opposed to 1ghz that the documentation states?

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 5:33 AM

Answers

• Yes it does, is the short answer!

I just tried to install RC1 on my old PIII 550 512Mb Ram, 40G, 20G & 20G drives. and it also says I need a 70G HDD.

I missed that in the documentation.

I don't have a 1G CPU 70G HDD computer handy!

and more to the point I don't think I need that much HDD space just to backup a few computers. It was working fine with CTP.

So the next question is: Can we install RC1 somehow with our current hardware ????  i.e. can these requirements be bypassed ???

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 12:43 PM
  • With this build the sys (CSmile partition has doubled to 20Gig which is probably why the space requirement is being enforced. I doubt you'll find a way round this, but good luck!

Gordon

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 12:58 PM
  • The drive size does appear to be enforced strictly.

I just installed RC1 on a P3 866 so the processor requirement isn't strictly enforced.  Also, the memory requirement is enforced on install, but I have the system running on 256 Megs of RAM after the install completes.
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 6:46 PM

All replies

• Yes it does, is the short answer!

I just tried to install RC1 on my old PIII 550 512Mb Ram, 40G, 20G & 20G drives. and it also says I need a 70G HDD.

I missed that in the documentation.

I don't have a 1G CPU 70G HDD computer handy!

and more to the point I don't think I need that much HDD space just to backup a few computers. It was working fine with CTP.

So the next question is: Can we install RC1 somehow with our current hardware ????  i.e. can these requirements be bypassed ???

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 12:43 PM
  • With this build the sys (CSmile partition has doubled to 20Gig which is probably why the space requirement is being enforced. I doubt you'll find a way round this, but good luck!

Gordon

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 12:58 PM
  • The drive size does appear to be enforced strictly.

I just installed RC1 on a P3 866 so the processor requirement isn't strictly enforced.  Also, the memory requirement is enforced on install, but I have the system running on 256 Megs of RAM after the install completes.
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 6:46 PM
  • The memory requirement is because of the use of WinPE 2.0 for the installation interface. It apparently starts having problems somewhere well north of 256 MB, so 512 is the next reasonable step up.
    Sunday, June 17, 2007 12:59 AM
  • I am currently running WHS on a old Iomega NAS converted to a server. It has a PIII 600mhz proc and 512mb of PC133 and main HD is 200gb. I have not had any problem running WHS, except for it being extremely slow. So what i have seen here is that the ram and HD size is enforced but not proc speed.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 12:17 AM
  •  timtaylor25 wrote:
    I am currently running WHS on a old Iomega NAS converted to a server. It has a PIII 600mhz proc and 512mb of PC133 and main HD is 200gb. I have not had any problem running WHS, except for it being extremely slow. So what i have seen here is that the ram and HD size is enforced but not proc speed.

The only specs that are enforced are the ones that might cause setup to fail.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 4:53 PM