Why no Follow Up button? RRS feed

• Question

• It would seem to me that following up on a phone call, email, fax...any sales activity is a necessary function in the business of selling anything to anybody. Why in the world did MS remove/not include the ability to create a follow up reminder in CRM 2011? Sure I can go create a task after I create every activity, but that is a lot of extra steps. Last time I checked sales people didnt want extra steps added.

Can someone provide detailed instructions how MS intended this to be accomplished in 2011? I have seen posts about creating a relaionship to an entity, but I am not sure I fully understand that as the details were limited. I would want to create follow up reminders for all the various activities.

Thank you in advance.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:08 PM

Answers

• Well, there was functionality like this in CRM 4.0.  I guess Microsoft thought the functionality was replaced by the Ribbon in 2011.

That said, you could use a combination of JavaScript and a button on the Ribbon to create a follow-up, as long as you could well-define what needs to be added to make a follow-up.  Making it flexible enough to work everywhere would be quite a project.

For salespeople on the go, I second using CWR or TenDigits on a mobile device.  It handles activity-oriented action very well, and will handle your needs better than any other solution.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Consulting's positions, views, strategies or opinions.
    Monday, August 15, 2011 2:48 PM
  • Hi

Is this link any use to help with the missing follow up button?  I must admit I think the old button was easier to work with, but presumably there is long term benefit to using this new ability to link activities - though I need to get my head around it first!

http://www.crmsoftwareblog.com/2011/07/activity-relationships-in-microsoft-dynamics-crm-2011/

Friday, September 2, 2011 11:46 AM

All replies

• Please see my responses inline below:

Can someone provide detailed instructions how MS intended this to be accomplished in 2011?

I suspect you will need to speak with a Microsoft representative directly to obtain this information.  We can provide suggestions on how to accomplish what you want to do but we won't be able to speak directly to Microsoft's intentions on application usage.

I would want to create follow up reminders for all the various activities.

If you have the CRM Outlook Client installed, activities will sync to Outlook and generate a reminder based on your default Outlook settings.

I hope this helps.

Regards, Donna

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:58 PM
  • I should have been more specific. Based on the business i am working with a majority of the time the salespeople are entering things they have already done so the dates and times have passed. They might go out during the day and visit serveral shopping centers and try to make sales to the local business's and come back 4 hours laters with some notes and enter their activities for the day. OR they may make 20 phone calls and then records them after each phone call and want to enter a follow up once they create the phone call. It would be helpful to "create a follow up" by clicking one button that transfers the account and contact information so that you would not have to close, click task, select new fields, save. My interest is in reducing the amount of work the salesperson has to do in the system as this is a hi touch business so there are a lot of customer interactions to enter.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:35 PM
  • Maybe you could implement the CRM Mobile or better yet CWR's Mobile solution for CRM and then your sales team could enter activities real-time.  You could also consider leveraging workflows to reduce the number of clicks.  You can put a custom checkbox on the various activity forms and label it 'Follow-up' or something like that and have the workflow create the follow-up task with the information supplied from the Phone Call.  Another option is to possibly use the Dialog process but that might be too many clicks for them as well.

If you want the follow-up feature, then please post a suggestion on the Connect site and have people vote for it.  Since the suggestion might already be there, you might want to do a search first.

I do encourage you to look into the Mobile solutions for your sales team as I think that will be of great benefit.  I hope this helps.

Regards, Donna

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:36 PM
  • BUMP

This needs a solution as I have yet to find one that is simple to understand.  I have a similar need as Wes.

Monday, August 15, 2011 2:30 PM
  • Well, there was functionality like this in CRM 4.0.  I guess Microsoft thought the functionality was replaced by the Ribbon in 2011.

That said, you could use a combination of JavaScript and a button on the Ribbon to create a follow-up, as long as you could well-define what needs to be added to make a follow-up.  Making it flexible enough to work everywhere would be quite a project.

For salespeople on the go, I second using CWR or TenDigits on a mobile device.  It handles activity-oriented action very well, and will handle your needs better than any other solution.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Consulting's positions, views, strategies or opinions.
    Monday, August 15, 2011 2:48 PM
  • Hi

Is this link any use to help with the missing follow up button?  I must admit I think the old button was easier to work with, but presumably there is long term benefit to using this new ability to link activities - though I need to get my head around it first!

http://www.crmsoftwareblog.com/2011/07/activity-relationships-in-microsoft-dynamics-crm-2011/

Friday, September 2, 2011 11:46 AM