none
Help installing d-Mail.msp

Question

• I am trying to help a friend running Windows 7 who received a message from Microsoft saying that he needed to install an update to Windows Live Mail 2012. The provided link produced a download of the file d-Mail.msp. I have learned that this is a Windows Installer file. On my Windows 10 machine, if I right click the file and click on OPEN WITH ... the first option listed is Windows Installer. But on his machine the first option listed is paint shop, and there is no mention of Windows Installer. I thought Windows Installer 5.0 was a part of Windows 7. Can someone please advise how to bring Windows Installer to bear in this situation? THANKS. (Sorry to post to Live Writer; it is the only thing listed under Windows Live. If I need to post elsewhere I would very much appreciate advice.)
    • Edited by rs1937 Thursday, December 24, 2015 2:27 AM
    Thursday, December 24, 2015 2:25 AM

All replies

• I'm having a similar issue although when I right click on d-Mail.msp I have the option to open with Windows Installer. I also have PSP loaded on my machine so when I first double clicked on d-Mail.msp upon downloading Paint Shop Pro launched...

Anyway, when I pick Windows Installer to open the msp file  the error that comes back is:

The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch.

I know I have the latest version of Windows Live Mail and I know I downloaded the correct d-Mail.msp...

Any ideas would be most appreciated!

Sunday, December 27, 2015 5:51 AM