The hardware in my server. RRS feed

• Question

• I plan to use an old system I have consisting of an ABIT VP6 Dual Processing Board with two PIII 800Mgz Processors overclocked to 1.2 Gigs each. I'm using 2 Gigs of ECC Server Memory pulled from a Dell Poweredge 1650, I have 175 Gigs total harddrive space set on RAID 0, , with 8 Standard USB's, 4 Fire wire ports, a Geforce 4 graphics card, and a Soundblaster Audigy Platnium, and of course my DVD Burner. I also have an external 1 TB Drive for extra storage and I'm running a a gigibite enabled network (Ethernet cards and Router). I think it will run fine but I'm unsure, just thought I'd ask if it would be enouph as I've heard that Home Server, compared to UBUNTU is a little bit of a hog when it comes to hardware.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 7:49 PM

Answers

• My free advice, dump your old hardware even if you can get it to work.  New hardware to run WHS is dirt cheap which means you can buy the lowest end stuff out there and have some comfort that it will last 3 to 5 years.  Starting with old hardware is just pushing your luck.  If you worry about power usage, compare your two PIII 800Mgz Processors vs. a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050e Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor.  The savings in the electric bill will pay for the new hardware.

Friday, May 15, 2009 1:28 AM
  • I was running a similar mainboard/CPU (HP Server) in the past, short after introduction. While it was running stable, it was also far from being as responsive as I wanted. It was also noisy and I am sure, it had it's share in the invoice increase for electricity.
    RAID is not supported by Windows Home Server (and RAID 0 calls for trouble, since it kills the entire volume, if one disk fails).
    Are the USB ports USB 2.0? Even if, people had problems in the past, that USB drives sometimes jumped out of the storage pool and went missing (which seems to depend from the enclosure often enough).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, May 15, 2009 6:30 AM

All replies

• The minimum spec lists
    1.0 GHz Intel Pentium 3

I wouldn't say you couldn't get this working on your Pentium 2. My thought would be whether you get Windows Server 2003-compatible drivers on a platform that old.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:51 PM
  • Pentium 2?

Pentium 3's is what I have, and I have two of them. I did have Home server running on a Poweredge 1650 Rackmount server and that took a little finagling to make it work with Home server. The 1650 was released only a year or two after my board and CPUs where released so I've got my fingers crossed that it works.

The overclocking of the CPU's gives me a .2 Mhz above the specs, and seeing as I have two of them, its like I have a glorified Dual Core Processor but not really.

I think I may have had server 2003 running on this system about two years ago, but I can't remember if it was 2003 or 2000, As i have both.

Just thought I'd ask to see if anyone had a simular setup, with old hardware.

Thanks for the response.

Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:12 PM
  • My free advice, dump your old hardware even if you can get it to work.  New hardware to run WHS is dirt cheap which means you can buy the lowest end stuff out there and have some comfort that it will last 3 to 5 years.  Starting with old hardware is just pushing your luck.  If you worry about power usage, compare your two PIII 800Mgz Processors vs. a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050e Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor.  The savings in the electric bill will pay for the new hardware.

Friday, May 15, 2009 1:28 AM
  • I was running a similar mainboard/CPU (HP Server) in the past, short after introduction. While it was running stable, it was also far from being as responsive as I wanted. It was also noisy and I am sure, it had it's share in the invoice increase for electricity.
    RAID is not supported by Windows Home Server (and RAID 0 calls for trouble, since it kills the entire volume, if one disk fails).
    Are the USB ports USB 2.0? Even if, people had problems in the past, that USB drives sometimes jumped out of the storage pool and went missing (which seems to depend from the enclosure often enough).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, May 15, 2009 6:30 AM