Support in Mobile Outlook for POP3 Direct Admin Hosting RRS feed

  • Question


    I recently bought a Sprint Mogul with WM6 installed.  All my email accounts work great except 1.  The email is provided by those that host a website of mine.  I have a few POP3 email accounts, and none of them pop an error... however none of them will pull any email down either. 


    The website is hosted using Direct Admin (www.directadmin.com.)  There are forums on their webste, and I have found a few posts siting this exact issue dating back to 2003.  Please see these links to those discussions:


    Post 1: http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2453&highlight=mobile+outlook

    Post 2: http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14576&highlight=mobile+outlook


    The IMAP4 work around is not even working for me.  So it is not possible at the moment for me to pull email down from these accounts via Mobile Outlook.  I downloaded the trial for Flexmail 2007 and it worked just fine.  I also had these accounts working on my Palm OS based Centro.  So there is something between Mobile Outlook and the Direct Admin methods of communication. 


    Here is a description of the process:

    I perform a Send Receive.  I get "connecting...", "logging on..." , "looking for changes...", "disconnecting...", "finished"


    At then end of this process I am still sitting with 0 items in my inbox. 


    If someone from Microsoft would like to contact me, I will setup a test/dummy account for them to play with.  This is a very frusterating situation, and has obviously driven may people nuts.  I can not find ANYTHING that will allow a workaround, other than buying another email app for my phone (which I hate installed redundant applications on my devices... there is always some conflict between the two, double the storage, alerts controlled in multiple areas, etc...)



    Saturday, April 12, 2008 6:25 AM

All replies

  • Greetings djchad!  Welcome to the Windows Mobile Owners Circle forums.


    Regular Outlook for the PDA (inbox) is apparently unable to support the non-standard protocols employed by DA.   Obviously FlexMail 2007 worked fine, so it's not your PDA itself, so I would take that as sufficient evidence that the problem is caused by DA.  


    I realize you'd like to have Outlook fix the problem by supporting non-standard protocols, but I cannot see Microsoft changing Outlook for the PDA (Inbox) just because 100 or so individuals are having problems with one (DA) service provider.  Since other users in the URLs that you provided are having the same problems, I would suggest that you talk further with DA about their obligation to remove their proprietary code so as to allow regular Outlook (for the PDA) the ability to recognize and connect to the DA e-mail servers...


    Best of luck in your endeavors!

    Sunday, April 13, 2008 3:53 PM