recording an assigned put option RRS feed

• Question

• How do I record an assigned put option in Microsoft Money?  Here's the problem that I'm having.  First, I sell to open the put.  Then, on the expiration date, the put is assigned to me.  Since there is no "assign" option, I select "exercise".  When selecting exercise, Money automatically creates a buy to close transaction and a buy transaction.  The problem is that Money is adding the benefit from selling the put option to the cost basis of the buy transaction instead of selling.  In other other words, I originally sold the put for .29 a share.  The strike price was 80.  My cost when being assigned the put should be 79.71.  Instead, the Money transaction shows it as 80.21.

I suppose that if no one has an answer, I'll just enter the buy to close and the buy transactions myself with the correct prices.

Saturday, March 16, 2013 2:55 AM

All replies

• Your workaround sounds pretty good, except you will want to pay close attention to the effect on the Cash Transactions account. Make sure the cash does not end up off by $0.29 per share. $80 per share comes out of your actual broker account now.

Saturday, March 16, 2013 3:21 AM