OCS 2007 Software Update Service install problems RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello ocs fans: we were fortunate to have some Polycom CX700  (Tanjay) phones to beta test.  We are trying to get the firmware updated, and installed the OCS SUS software (on a new sharepoint server and the OCS server). 

Things were going fine until Step 6 in the SUS deployment guide "Test Software Update Service:" where you invoke a browser with "https://gig-oc-01.graintest.com/mgmtconsole/default.aspx", returns  "The page you requested cannot be found. Please contact the server administrator ".  I could not find the file default.aspx in the ocs directories, unless asp sites handle this differently.

Testing the upload https://gig-oc-01.graintest.com/mgmtconsole/upload.aspx returns "The server cannot fullfill your request. Please contact the server administrator"  Also in the eventlog event 1309, detailed below.

Any ideas what is wrong, as we are so close to getting this operational?  Or is there a work around to getting the tanjay firmware installed?

(note that graintest.com is an internal domain.)

-- thanx,

gb

Event code: 3005
    Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
    Event time: 10/31/2007 8:28:32 AM
    Event time (UTC): 10/31/2007 1:28:32 PM
    Event ID: d3db1d471eaa4f2785d443d0e3183ede
    Event sequence: 6
    Event occurrence: 1
    Event detail code: 0

Application information:
        Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1/Root/MgmtConsole-1-128383107020296476
        Trust level: Full
        Application Virtual Path: /MgmtConsole
        Application Path: D:\Program Files\Office Communications Server 2007\Web Components\UC Device Updates\Management Console\
        Machine name: GIG-OC-01

Process information:
        Process ID: 1412
        Process name: w3wp.exe
        Account name: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE

Exception information:
        Exception type: UriFormatException
        Exception message: Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined.

Request information:
        Request URL: https://gig-oc-01.graintest.com/mgmtconsole/upload.aspx
        Request path: /mgmtconsole/upload.aspx
        User host address: 10.10.1.93
        User: GIG-OC-01\Administrator
        Is authenticated: True
        Authentication Type: Negotiate
        Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE

Thread information:
        Thread ID: 1
        Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
        Is impersonating: False
        Stack trace:    at System.Uri.CreateThis(String uri, Boolean dontEscape, UriKind uriKind)
       at System.Uri..ctor(String uriString)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.set_Url(String value)
       at Microsoft.RTC.UCUPDATESSERVER.SHAREPOINTSERVICES.Service..ctor(String strURL)
       at Microsoft.RTC.UCUPDATESSERVER.ManagementConsole.Utilities.IsSharePointisAccessible()
       at MCHeader.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Custom event details:

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 1:39 PM

All replies

•  

Ok me bad.  After looking at things over and over again, I decided to revisit the execution of the vbs script that initializes the software.  I had made major typo's and had not seen the error messages.

I use the "deactivate" option of the vbs script, removed the software, reinstalled it and executed the vbs very carefully, and ITS WORKING. 

I was able to visit both sharepoint and OCS SUS websites and uploaded the firmware cab file.  the CX700's have been updated as planned.

But, the voicemail connection broke...

-- cheers,

gb

Thursday, November 8, 2007 2:31 PM
  • Similar experience here. Voicemail, missed calls etc. are only shown in deployments with Exchange 2007 UM SP1 (Beta) set up to operate with OCS.

Greetings,

Johann

Thursday, November 8, 2007 10:48 PM
  • What was it exactly that you had changed.  I currently seem to have the same issue.  However a reinstall seems to be giving me the same error.

I set my urls to the following:

internalupdatesstoreurl: https://<fqdn of sp server>/sites/ucupdateserver

externalupdatesstoreurl:  https://<fqdn of sp server>/site/sites/ucupdateserver

and my

InternalUpdatesDownloadURL: https://OCS POOL NAME/RequestHandler

Monday, December 10, 2007 9:42 PM
  • So I thought I would start fresh again this morning.  A review of my logs shows many warnings.

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Software Update Service
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 0
    Date:  12/10/2007
    Time:  6:40:17 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: SERVERNAME
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Software Update Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Error Reading Configuration value from sharepoint for key : LogCleanUpCallFrequency

Server will use default value for this key..

Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Software Update Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Error Reading Configuration value from sharepoint for key : LogFlushFrequency

Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Software Update Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Error Reading Configuration value from sharepoint for key : RHDebugLogEnabled

The warning messages keep on going.  I have a feeling that this may have something to do with the fact that my OCS POOL has been installed on x64bit hardware.  My reason for thinking that is I had to modify the ConfigUpdatesServer.vbs to look for the correct registry keys.

Any help would be great.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 1:29 PM
  • I don't know if x64Bit hardware is your problem, as I am running OCS on x86 hardware and getting the same (or very similar) errors in my event log.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, activating and deactivating the script and yet no avail.  One thing I have noticed is that my service account (RTCComponentService) can access the Upload.aspx page but no other pages and the default.aspx file does not exist in the folder structure.  What I can't do is access any of the pages through my domain/enterprise admin account.

When I try to upload the ucupdate.cab file using my service account, it runs and I see a new folder structure created under the management console root folder but the upload never succeeds.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this?  Any ideas on where to look next?  It feels like a permissions issue, but I am not sure where or what I need to change.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 7:19 PM
  • You should try adding your admin account to the RTCUniversalServerAdmins group, and then try again.

Also, make sure your Update Server on the Web Components server is not accessed through a load balancer.

If you have trouble manually uploading a .CAB file, you can try getting it from Microsoft Update. I wasn't able to upload a .CAB file manually until I upgraded the Sharepoint Server to >2GB RAM.

--

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 12:41 PM
  • My admin account has been a member of the RTCUniversalServerAdmins group, but when I added RTCComponentService to the RTCUniversalServerAdmins group all of a sudden when prompted my domain admin account could access at least the Upload.aspx page.  I still can't access any of the other pages with any account.

In looking through the logs more, I noticed that all my warnings point to SharePoint.  Although my WSS 3.0 site isn't behind a load balancer, it is running in a VM for testing.  I am going to put it on a phsycial box with 2GB RAM and see if I get better results.  From what I have read online it looks like 2GB RAM is probably the least amount of RAM needed if you are manually uploading the files. 

I should have more to report back tomorrow.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 9:47 PM
  • Ok, so the big block was that my WSS site was running in a VM with limited resources.  I moved it to a physical host with 2GB RAM and minimal other services running and was able to do the upload.

Only 1 problem left and I am hoping someone here can help me.  I went through and removed then recreated the Management site on my web component server.  After doing so (and all along actually) I do not get a default.aspx page created.  Everytime I try to access it, https://Enterprise FQDN/mgmtconsole/default.aspx, I get an error about the page cannot be found.

Anyone else having this issue and know how to fix it?

Friday, December 14, 2007 3:20 AM
  •  

Leave out everything after mgmtconsole - should work then.

Johann

Friday, December 14, 2007 1:58 PM