Site has been barely indexed. Only homepage shows up in search RRS feed

• Question

• I would've thought that signing up for the webmaster tools program would help out my site in being indexed and ranked in Live Search but it seems that something is wrong. I've got quite a lot of content on my site already, made a sitemap and have full rank backlinks but nothing seems to change with regard to my site's ranking or indexing. Am I missing something here? I've read the post here and implemented it but nothing works. What gives? Can I get more information on what I'm doing wrong? I mean most of my pages are already indexed on the other SEs, my site validates with W3C, it works with IE6 and IE7 on both XP and Vista.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. By the way, my site is at http://corpusjuris.santosestrella.com.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 5:16 PM

Answers

• Maxvond

Looking at your site you could actually use some other backlinks.   I see 212 links, but I am not seeing a lot of "great" ranking sites.  Lots of directories and resource pages.   Almost no links rank better than your own site.  You need to try and drive more authorative links to your site.  We are not having a problem crawling you, but the frequency and depth will improve with a better rank than what you have today.

Jeremiah

Monday, February 4, 2008 3:05 AM
  •  

"Ask yourselves: Why should we be left at the mercy of a seemingly "broken" search appliance?"

I have never said anything was broken.  The reality is that if you rank low, you get the crawl coverage or the frequency that you might see on other engines.  That is y design.   The tools we are working on and the beta you are participating in is because we want to give you insight into what we see.  

I regularly give hints and clear advice how to improve your rank.    I can't tell you everything, because there are lots of spammers out there that would love to take advantage of that information.

Like Promo has keep doing the basics.  Get links, improve your content this will make the difference every time.

Jeremiah

Monday, February 4, 2008 3:12 AM

All replies

• I have exactly the same problem, was part of the tool beta, and one site www.bayrivet.com has been crawled once with a one page index back on 11/24/2007.  There are no problems with yahoo tools or google tools.

Can someone help?I wil appreciate the input too.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 2:19 PM
  • Hi, I have a similar problem with my Thaistyle website. Only the index page is showing up in Live search and only for searches such as: site:www.thaistyle.co.nz 

Site has valid html and lots of backlinks. No problems with Google or Yahoo search. Any suggestions?

Friday, January 25, 2008 1:44 AM
  •  

Jeremiah and his team are working on the obvious problem we're all having.  Our promotional items site is in the same position with certain products repeatedly hit by the bot like the port authority competitor jacket but then never indexed. I think essentially we all just need to hang tight, watch the bot, and I think soon a switch will be flipped and many worthy sites will get indexed.

I think in some cases there is a psedu block going on and I believe all along part of our problem is that our name (prior to us having been in business) was once used @hotmail as a spammer.  I say this because in primitive tests here on the site the live bot will index blogs not related to our name, but won't index the two main blogs we use, one for product introductions and one for fun.

In short be patient, keep track of what is going on, run some of your own experiments and hopefully with everyones involvement we can find the common denominator.  The code they are using is incredibly complex, and all of our cases are invididual in nature.   Keep track of things, let's see where all of our paths cross.

Friday, January 25, 2008 6:10 AM
  • Well, I understand what you're saying. What's troubling to me and probably to others here as well was the expectation that participation in the Webmaster Tools would garner better indexing and exposure to our websites as opposed to non-participants. That many here, even after submission of their sites have been barely indexed or have only their homepage included into the index shows that there is a greater proportion of persons damaged or injured as a result of participation with this program rather than be benefited by it.

Judging by the age of some of the posts here, it seems that this "problem" is more deep-seated than everyone has initially thought. Until some of the people working on live search could give us the proper answers in the proper amount of time for our individual queries, I'd much rather recommend my site's users to use other search engines to find our content. I'm sure all of us here believe in the importance of our own respective content which we have painstakingly encoded, formatted and uploaded to our websites.

Ask yourselves: Why should we be left at the mercy of a seemingly "broken" search appliance?
    Friday, January 25, 2008 7:59 AM
  • Maxvond

Looking at your site you could actually use some other backlinks.   I see 212 links, but I am not seeing a lot of "great" ranking sites.  Lots of directories and resource pages.   Almost no links rank better than your own site.  You need to try and drive more authorative links to your site.  We are not having a problem crawling you, but the frequency and depth will improve with a better rank than what you have today.

Jeremiah

Monday, February 4, 2008 3:05 AM
  •  

"Ask yourselves: Why should we be left at the mercy of a seemingly "broken" search appliance?"

I have never said anything was broken.  The reality is that if you rank low, you get the crawl coverage or the frequency that you might see on other engines.  That is y design.   The tools we are working on and the beta you are participating in is because we want to give you insight into what we see.  

I regularly give hints and clear advice how to improve your rank.    I can't tell you everything, because there are lots of spammers out there that would love to take advantage of that information.

Like Promo has keep doing the basics.  Get links, improve your content this will make the difference every time.

Jeremiah

Monday, February 4, 2008 3:12 AM
  • There should be a balance between paranoia and a sense of doing business to the public. Look at google search engine no wonder they have captured 60% of the advertising market. If the business mindset is leaning toward a very secure website that you choke information that would help legitimate webmaster, then you deserve to be at bottom of the search engine.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 3:16 PM
  • Things had been going swimmingly for me, was good even before I joined webmaster tools.  However, sometime today, my indexed pages dropped to "1" (had been bouncing between 30-40 prior to that) for both sylvanwaychristian.org and www.sylvanwaychristian.orghttp://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=site%3Asylvanwaychristian.org&form=QBRE returns 11 results, and http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=site%3Awww.sylvanwaychristian.org&form=QBRE now only returns 1.  Seems like live search is having problems, 'cause I keep getting "This site is temporarily unavailable, please check back soon." error messages, so maybe that has something to do with it, but I would have expected others to be mentioning it on the forums if that were the case.  I seem to have good reliable backlinks, and I have certainly not done anything that could possibly get me blocked.  My sitemap has been validated by several different online validators, including the oft mentioned http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/ one.

Please help.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 10:47 PM
  •  Jeremiah Andrick - Microsoft wrote:

Jeremiah

How exactly is a person supposed to get links when you index so little of the web? You have indexed 3 pages on my site, Google at last count had indexed 165. So you are only indexing 1 page for every 50 on my site and judging by all the comments this is pretty much the common experience. So it stands to reason that you will only find 1 out of every 50 links pointing back at my site also.
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 8:38 AM
  • Your reply and your reply before are laughable,

You say Quote you get the crawl coverage or the frequency that you might see on other engines.

The site I work on has over 10,000 page indexed on Google (many of them in the top ten search), 7,000 on Yahoo, because it is a big site both of them our crawling it 24 hours a day 365 days a year. On live you index Just 26 pages of that site and crawl it about once every 2 weeks.

We get arond 14 thousand hits a month from google and just 5 hits a month from live.

Quote: I can't tell you everything, because there are lots of spammers out there.

But in your post before you are telling him to go out and get links, I thought links were supposed to be natural, if a web master is going out trying to get links everywhere it is not natural links, you are in fact telling him to spam.

Friday, February 22, 2008 4:30 AM
  •  

Alray our observations were similar up until very recently.  The traffic still is not what we'd like - most surveys put Live at  7-10% while we like you still show it much lower.   I cannot say what the tipping point was for us but at some point we went from 0 to 1 to all in the course of a week.  I wish I could put the finger on what we did, but I can't.

If everyone knew it was just a matter of time to get indexed it would calm a lot of nerves.  Not knowing if something is being done incorrectly is what creates so much tension with Live at this stage.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 2:00 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem.  Only the home page has been index by live.com.  Google has indexed every page in my site www.stone-tile-grout.com and Yahoo six.  I have followed all the instructions in the developer tools and still no more indexing.  No wonder MSN is at the bottom.  It seems that unless you have thousands of inlinks you have no chance in Live_N_dead.com.  I am going to drop my adds in MSN.  Since I started my advertising campain with MSN, I have not received a conversion from them, versus Google and Yahoo, about 2-5 per week.

I wish they would get off the pedestal in the clouds and get down to understanding what we the website owners go trough to creat websites so that they can index so that their search engines can exist.

If anyone can check my site www.stone-tile-grout.com and let me know is I am missing something.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:41 PM
  • My site has not been included in MSN web search for several years.   Over the past year I've tried removed anything spammy, got rid of a few hidden links, removed a few links to dubious places, changed the text coding of the home page, tried different redirects for www and non www, DNS configurations, added sitemap etc. 

After several months, my site www.satsig.net now has 2 pages listed, despite over 1000 incoming links aimed at the home page and over 4000 incoming links aimed at other assorted pages.

The msnbot visits about 10 pages per day, mainly the popular ones, so this activity appears to be checking inbound links, rather than a spidering process.  Rarely, perhaps every 3 - 4 weeks several pages (say 5) are accessed in succession, which looks like a brief spidering.

The two site pages which are listed are both rated 1.   The top 10 incoming links are all rated 5.

Strangely, the msnbot calls for a file called index.htm which does not exist.  The default server file name is called something else.  Does the msnbot require that a home page file be called index.htm?.   As far as I am aware there is only one incoming link to this named file from the internet - from a Russian teleport site.

Any ideas ?

Best regards, Eric.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 6:50 PM
  • I should add that in October 2007, having been told my that site was not blocked for any reason, I had this message from tech support:

"We understand that you are having a problem right now with your site < a) not being indexed in Live Search or b) not being found in Live Search when looking for it using key words>.

We are aware of this problem, and it is not affecting your site alone.  We discovered an error in the programming that submits URL's to our search engine and we are in the process of fixing it.  In the next few days you will be to go to the site http://search.msn.com/docs/submit.aspx and submit your URL again.  We will process the site through our anti-spam and content filters and include the site and rank it appropriately.  The entire process should take about 2 weeks to complete, but may take longer depending on the number of pages in your domain, the content, how the page was written, and other factors."

I waited a week and submitted my URL and four months later, now have just two pages listed.

I wonder if it matters that the top 10 incoming links (all rated 5) point at the home page ?.  Only 3 of the top 10 incoming links point to my home page, 2 of the top 10 no longer have a link to my site and the remainder point to specific useful pages.

Best regards, Eric.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 10:15 AM
  • Thank you for posting the link for URL submission!  I've been looking for that for some time after finding something similar on Yahoo.  My site Googled within a day and then a couple of days after submitting it on Yahoo.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 9:06 PM
  •  

I had this same problem.  For me the issue was:

My sitemap was declared as being UTF-8

Code Snippet

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

The file however, was not actually saved as utf-8, and/or had funky line endings.

Much thanks to PromoManagers.com for catching the bug.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 9:36 AM
  • Hi,

Any Idea why my RX site is not getting indexed.. even I have the same problem. I have only 1 page indexed and not keywords listed what so ever...

Please help !

Regards,

Ramesh
    Sunday, March 2, 2008 7:32 PM
  • Sitemap is messed up. The declaration is wrong, you have:

Code Snippet
    <urlset xmlns="https://www.offshorerx.com/sitemap.xml">

It should be:

Code Snippet
    <urlset xmlns="http://www.sitemaps.org/schemas/sitemap/0.9">

That is definately a problem, I am not 100% sure that is the only issue though.

Hopefully fixing the above, then resubmitting your sitemap, will get you all straightened out.  If that doesn't fix the problem within a day or two, I would look closer at the https stuff.  I am not very up on security certs, https, and all that, but I suppose it's possible that there could be an issue with Live and https sitemaps.  I don't have any factual data whatsoever to support that, it's just a total guess.  If it will work to make them all http rather than https, I would guess that might be safer.  If some of the urls have to be https I would break the sitemaps up one with the urls that can be http, another with the ones that must be https. 

Hope this helps!
    Sunday, March 2, 2008 10:09 PM