CRM 4.0 Data Migration Manager and CRM 3.0 RRS feed

• Question

• We currently have CRM 3.0 running in our organization. With all the updates and patches you can think of. Just one problem it is running on a SQL 2000 database.

So we had the choice to upgrade the CRM 3.0 server entirely. OR (we thought) we could install a new server with CRM 4.0 and then use the Data Migration Manager to migrate the info from CRM 3.0 to CRM 4.0.

So we installed a 2008 Server, with HV and all the bells and whistles. Everything went very well. Installed SQL2005 and once again things looked great.

Then installed CRM4.0 and that too went really well. No problems what so ever.

After CRM 4.0 was installed we ran the Data Migration Manager, and what to our amazement it only supports migrations from outlook, act and a few others, or you could try to do it through csv files. But as you might realize we have a fairly large database and I do not see myself exporting it all to csv files. I think this will give us more problems than it will help.

But we were amazed at the fact that we could not migrate the data from CRM 3.0 to CRM 4.0.

Why not? What are the restrictions that this is not supported while an upgrade is?

Hope someone might be able to answer this for me just so that I understand.

Sincerely,

Darren

Thursday, February 28, 2008 12:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• no, when you do upgrade data will be migrated automatically..

Regards,

Imran

http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com

Thursday, February 28, 2008 1:13 PM
  • Hi Imran,

The case is something different with us. We were using MS CRM 3.0. When CRM 4.0 was in beta we wanted to test it. So we installed it separately and not upgraded. We have some test data in CRM 4.0 now. Now how should we move for data migration?

With regards,
    Mandar Thosar
    Wednesday, April 2, 2008 6:57 AM