damaged COA RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install XP on a new hard drive and my comp has a damaged COA. I can read all but 8 digits of the product key. I ran the MGA Diagnostic and it shows a key from the system builder  that Windows will not activate. If I pay for the Microsoft customer service call, can they help, or is it a waste of $60?

Thursday, June 25, 2009 4:14 AM

Answers

• Hello

The Belarc Advisor site will show what key is currently being used in the computer.  This would be the same key shown in the Diagnostic Report.  Since the user says "I ran the MGA Diagnostic and it shows a key from the system builder" that the currently being used is not the same as the porting seen on the COA sticker.  

The Manufacturer places the COA stickers on thier PC.  While Microsoft tracks how many OEM licensing (COA Stickers) the Manufacturer uses (so we can bill them), we do not have any way of knowing which of their computers they put a specific COA sticker on.

You may want to contact the Manufacturer of your computer and see if they have some way to look up what COA Sticker was place on your particular computer.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:10 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by rhimond Friday, June 26, 2009 1:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, June 29, 2009 6:06 PM
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:10 PM
  • Hello Rhimond,

If an HP, see if you can get the correct HP Recovery Discs for that exact model from HP.  Usually using the Recovery Discs does not require the user to input a PK.

If no joy at HP, try www.restoredisks.com or search for similar companies selling REAL manufacturer recovery discs.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, June 26, 2009 1:44 PM
  • So, what you're telling me is that Microsoft can't help. I guess I'll have to buy a new OS. Thanx for your help.
    • Marked as answer by rhimond Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:34 AM
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:34 AM

All replies

• If your computer is still operational, download and run Belarc Advisor to view the Windows XP product key currently in use.
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 3:07 PM
  • Hello

The Belarc Advisor site will show what key is currently being used in the computer.  This would be the same key shown in the Diagnostic Report.  Since the user says "I ran the MGA Diagnostic and it shows a key from the system builder" that the currently being used is not the same as the porting seen on the COA sticker.  

The Manufacturer places the COA stickers on thier PC.  While Microsoft tracks how many OEM licensing (COA Stickers) the Manufacturer uses (so we can bill them), we do not have any way of knowing which of their computers they put a specific COA sticker on.

You may want to contact the Manufacturer of your computer and see if they have some way to look up what COA Sticker was place on your particular computer.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:10 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by rhimond Friday, June 26, 2009 1:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, June 29, 2009 6:06 PM
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:10 PM
  • My main question is, if I call Microsoft Customer Support can they give me the missing digits? I called HP (the OEM) and they can do nothing for me. I'm just wondering if I can resurrect this copy of XP or do I need to buy a new one. This project would have been much easier if my friend would have written down the product key when they bought it. Oh well... Thanks!!
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 8:04 PM
  • Hello Rhimond,

If an HP, see if you can get the correct HP Recovery Discs for that exact model from HP.  Usually using the Recovery Discs does not require the user to input a PK.

If no joy at HP, try www.restoredisks.com or search for similar companies selling REAL manufacturer recovery discs.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, June 26, 2009 1:44 PM
  • So, what you're telling me is that Microsoft can't help. I guess I'll have to buy a new OS. Thanx for your help.
    • Marked as answer by rhimond Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:34 AM
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:34 AM