GDR3 disabling screen auto-rotation causes issues with Blink RRS feed

• Question

• I recently noticed all my Blink's posted to so.cl were coming out at 90 degrees, here's an example:

http://www.so.cl/#/post?i=2L0ekvP4C2Ip2S4G

After playing around with it a little bit, I realized that it's due to the fact that I have my screen auto-rotation disabled (which I believe is a new setting in the WP8 GDR3 update).

As soon as I re-enabled it, I no longer had this problem.

It makes total sense - but I think this is going to be a common issue as more users get Update3.  As a result, I think it's necessary that the Blink app for WP8 has a rotation feature.  At the very least, Blink should put up a giant warning letting the user know that they can't record horizontally.

Thanks!

Thursday, January 2, 2014 7:17 AM

All replies

• That is really a problem. I have movie app that rotates between portrait and landscape playback. The problem is that as a developer you can't detect whether the user has rotation lock enabled. This new user feature basically cripples existing Apps that rely on device rotation.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they answered your question!

Thursday, January 2, 2014 9:12 AM
  • I agree.  I consider myself pretty knowledgeable and it took me a while to figure out why my videos were 90 degrees off.  I had completely forgotten that I disabled auto-rotation.  I looked everywhere (on so.cl and in Blink) for the ability to rotate it manually, once I realized what the problem is, but that feature doesn't exist.  The average user needs the ability to easily rotate it after-the-fact, or a way to force rotation, regardless of the user settings (for apps like this).
    Friday, January 3, 2014 5:43 AM
  • If we as developer could detect the setting we could at least warn the user about the effect it has.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they answered your question!

Friday, January 3, 2014 6:59 AM