Where are pictures, music etc. RRS feed

• Question

• I changed my Home Server 2011 to another computer. We used to look pictures and listen musinc through out TV, which is connected to our network. But where should those files be? Or is it the question of permissions?

TV shows me:
    (servername) Home Server
    Media Server - Windows Media Player Sharing

I've tried to put files to several places but I can't see then in the TV.

Nikorios

Saturday, September 26, 2015 2:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

while you changed the computer, did you copy the media files to the preexisting default shares (i.e. for video, photo etc ...)?

Permissions can always play a role, depending how your device attempts to access the media shares. The following setting bypasses any user specific access:

To turn on media streaming:

1. Open the Windows Home Server 2011  Dashboard.

2. Click Server settings.

3. Click Media.

4. Click Turn on.

5. Click Customize, and then select Yes for each shared folder that you want to include in the Media Library.

6. Click OK to save your changes.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 7:33 AM
  • Thank you very much Olaf

I have not yet copied media files but tested different places where to put them. I'll do your suggestions first when I go home.

I installed Windows Server 2012 to the previous computer but my media (and other files) are in another computers and in OneDrive.

Nikorios

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 7:51 AM
  • Sorry

I've been busy, but now I had time to test. All my media is turned on but still I cant see any files. The folders can be seen. The files are under Public user. I have changed to my previous digibox because the media was seen with it. But now when I bought a new WHS 2011 and a new computer for it, I can't see any media. Is it still something I could try?

Nikorios

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 4:27 PM
  • Hi Nikorios,

did you copy the media files directly to the Shares over network? Can you play them via PC (Windows Media Player or Media Center)?

What do you mean with "under Public user"?

The extensions of the files are supported by your device?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 8:31 AM
  • Thank you very much Olof

At last I managed to see the music, pictures and video. I tried many things, but I don't know what helped. With Public user I meant Public account. Now the files are in a separate disk and there in ServerFolders.

Anyway I'd like to thank you from my heart that you replied. I already thought that WHS is too old system. Anyway it's good to me and my family because we can now watch pictures, videos and music from my Home Server with our TV.

Best and thankfull greetings from Finland

Nikorios

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 6:12 PM