2 settings have changed since i installed onecare RRS feed

• General discussion

•  
    1. outlook no longer runs in the system tray after i have close the program. i have the option, of course to not close outlook, but i do not like to clog up the taskbar. perhaps there is a setting in outlook to keep it running as a process but i haven't been able to loacte anything about that in Help and Support or Outlook Help. the point is i would like to be able to 'close' outlook and still have it running in the background, so in the system tray the icon still appears and pop-up balloons notify of new mail.

2. everytime my pc goes into sleep mode the screen resolution goes to 800x600. this may very well be that i do not have the proper drivers installed for my monitor (i never did install the drivers from the cd that came with the monitor, just plug and played it) but it never used to revert to 800x600 before i installed onecare.

these are relatively minor issues but if anyone knows of a solution or has had similar experiences suggestions would be appreciated.

(i accidently posted this in the firewall forum so i want to move it here)
    Friday, January 2, 2009 8:38 PM

All replies

• Hello curiouscustomer, I don't think either of these issues are related to One Care. Regarding Outlook, it should never run as a process when you close the program.  To keep Outlook running in the Notification Area and not visible on the Taskbar open Outlook, right click the Notification Area icon and select "Hide when minimized". You can then minimize Outlook without seeing it on the Taskbar.
    The screen resolution after sleep issue is a little more complicated. I've seen this issue mentioned in other forums but have not seen a "one size fits all" solution. Some of the possible solutions I've seen are update your graphics drivers, roll back your graphics drivers, set the screen refresh rate to 60 hertz, use a slightly lower screen resolution, don't use sleep mode, and "wait for the next Service Pack".
    Jim
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 4:38 AM
  • I'll leave this in General, though I've made the thread a discussion type as I don't believe it is on topic or related to OneCare.
    I'll note that closing Outlook will remove it from the task bar *and* the system tray as you are closing it. Minimizing Outlook will let it keep running. Jim's explanation will allow it to no longer appear on the task bar when minimized, but it wil remain in the system tray.
    I don't know what else to suggest regarding the screen resolution issue, though it is interesting that you didn't observe this prior to the installation of OneCare. I would install the driver for the monitor from the CD and this may resolve the issue. It would seem that on wake the plug and play detection is not seeing the monitor before the screen resolution is set by your display adapter driver/software.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, January 5, 2009 4:24 PM