OneCare Install Leaves My System Unable To Boot RRS feed

• Question

• Rebuilding my old machine for my wife's use.  After installing XP Pro, applying SP3 + EI8/security updates...I reboot.  Then I try to install OneCare.  My system becomes totally unable to boot.  I get a very quick unreadable blue screen then my system reboots.  I am unable to restart the system in SafeMode, Normal mode, or even "the last good configuration."   I know the problem occurs when I install OneCare as I have performed the entire re-installation procedure 3 times.  The system becomes unusable after the OneCare install specifically.   Is this a known issue?  I have an AMD processor.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 3:47 AM

Answers

All replies

• This is not a known issue. There is something in your system or system configuration that is conflicting with One Care. I suggest contacting support for help. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:37 PM
  • As jim noted, this isn't a known issue, nor one that I've seen reported before *except* when OneCare is installed with other Security software already installed. If you "installed" XP from an OEM restore disc, it likely includes a trial version of other antivirus software that needs to be removed first.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 1:51 AM
  • Thanks all for your reponse.  Unfortunately this is a fresh install using Windows XP Pro installation media.  Its a hassel.  I understand that OneCare is going to be discontinued this year with the advent of Windows 7.  I might just scrape the idea of using the product.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 2:07 AM