Marketing List Member Management using Advanced Find RRS feed

• Question

• I was trying to show someone how to build a marketing list today and the process I expected to use did not work.  We were trying to build a list of contacts that were within a specific industry but that did not have an open opportunity.  I planned to do this by adding the members using advanced find for the industry and then removing using advanced find any members that had a related open opportunity.  No dice.  I was able to add the contacts based on their industry just fine.  But using the advanced find for related opportunities wasn't finding anyone to remove even though there are members that have open opportunities.  The opportunities are all attached to the contact, not the account, so it's not a hierarchical/relationship issue (the same find works outside of the marketing list).  I also tried using the evaluate members option with similar results.

This should be expected to work, no?  Am I missing a hotfix that someone can point me to?

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 9:21 PM

Answers

• I was able to do it the way that you describe:
    1.  add memebers where industry = X
    2. Remove members where related opportunity customer (contact).

The fact that you got the SQL timeout tells me that it might be a database issue, or something else.  I would recommend that you escalate to support.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:51 AM

All replies

• Just a follow-up with more info.  After performing the find to remove members, the members list was completely empty - no grid, no toolbar, nothing.  I took this to mean there were no results.  But after waiting a while with the blank window, an error came up: SQL Server timeout expired.

Bummer.  I could run this through SQL profiler, but running the same find I am using to remove members in a regular advanced find produces results in a couple seconds (returns 350 records out of thousands of contacts with open opportunities).  The marketing list I am running this against only contains about 100 members so far (out of a database of 150,000+ contacts).  Is this a common issue?  Are the queries generated by this process I am attempting not very well executed?  Or is my database just too big?  And is there a solution/workaround?

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 9:53 PM
  • I was able to do it the way that you describe:
    1.  add memebers where industry = X
    2. Remove members where related opportunity customer (contact).

The fact that you got the SQL timeout tells me that it might be a database issue, or something else.  I would recommend that you escalate to support.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:51 AM