Trouble with remote access to home computers RRS feed

• Question

• OK, so we've been told what OS's are required to support Remote Access. Here is my situation ...

2 home computers, Vista Ultimate OS
    HP MediaSmart EX487 server
    Remote access enabled on both computers
    Windows firewall set for remote access
    Router supports UPnP
    Access server via HPMediaSmart.com
    Can connect to shared files, uploads and downloads OK
    Both computers show Available to Connect ... but cannot connect to them ... any thoughts about what to check next?
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 5:11 PM

All replies

• Where are trying to connect from, and what happens when you make the attempt?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 7:18 PM
  • Can you remote desktop to them directly inside your network?
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 9:25 PM
  • No, will not let me do that either.  One computer cannot log onto another whether inside the network or trying to remote access in.

Any suggestions of what to check for?

Thanks much -- KOB.
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:46 PM
  • No, will not let me do that either.  One computer cannot log onto another whether inside the network or trying to remote access in.

Any suggestions of what to check for?

Thanks much -- KOB.

I would suggest you first check to see if, under Remote Desktop, you selected Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure).  If it's already selected, try completely disabling the firewall on both clients, then try RDC through your LAN.  Also, are you using Windows Firewall or some other 3rd party security suite that includes its own firewall?
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 11:19 PM
  • DivePro- I have the exact same issue under the exact same circumstances. Any luck with this issue yet? Only difference with me is that my clients are running XP.
    IT Consultant
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 10:47 PM