Running Vail as a ordinary OS? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Haven't studied this new Home Server yet, but what Ive seen it look very different from the previous one.

At first glimse, it looks just like a ordinary OS - true? I mean it has control panel, deviice and priner, network and such....

I know from previos version that it was not recommende to run it as a ordinary OS.

I also know that connecting extra disk, ment it had to be formatted and such.

My question is - is it recommended to run this server as a ordinary OS - or leave it alone and just use it as backup and such?

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 7:12 PM

All replies

• It is a Server OS and should be used as such. Why would you want to use it as a Desktop OS when you could buy W7?
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 7:26 PM
  • I have win7

Thought it would apply to me needs.

Want to male backup of computers at home, share files and folders to friends and family with different usernames, password and access, streaming, access anywhere in the world to me and such..

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 7:39 PM
  • Want to male backup of computers at home, share files and folders to friends and family with different usernames, password and access, streaming, access anywhere in the world to me and such..

Yes, that's what it does.
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 8:24 PM
  • That I know...

However I also wanted to know if it was recommende to use it as a OS as well. Instead of using both Win 7 and Home Server at 2 different computers. If Home Server could manage all task as the Win7 does - and also run the most used programes such as Office, Adobe, Photoshop and such.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 8:31 PM
  • You could do that, but it is not reccomended by Microsoft that you do so - indeed the Desktop picture contains that very warning!
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 8:34 PM
  • Seen that and heard.

However, what could be the consevences of doing such?

And has any or does anyone use the Server as workstation? If so, what's the verdict?

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 8:41 PM
  • I only run a server OS when I want to do some Hyper-V testing on my
    laptop or desktop.

And has any or does anyone use the Server as workstation? If so, what's the verdict?

Power management is weak at best, some programs wont install on a
    server OS and some cost more to install on a server OS, the UI is
    slower, but other than that, it's passable.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 9:19 PM
  • >>My question is - is it recommended to run this server as a ordinary OS - or leave it alone and just use it as backup and such?
    ========

The first problem you'll run into is getting IE to cooperate with you. I have trouble getting it to go to the web to pick up a file I may need. And, no, it is NOT recommended to run WHS as an ordinary OS.

I would NOT use this as an operating system; however, since you want to use it that way, why don't you try it out and report back to us?

BTW, if you use WHS as an OS, don't file any bugs on it. :) And . . . DON'T put any valuable information on it, just in case you crash it. :)

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret
    Please Don't Text and Drive
    My Grand Kids May be in Your Path

Nancy Ward
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 10:18 PM
  • Control Panel/Programs and Features/Add Remove Windows Components/Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Features.  Uncheck the block and IE will behave like a normal desktop version, but you open WHS to many vulnerabilities that it normally wouldn't be.  Not worth the risk if you ask me!

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

My question is - is it recommended to run this server as a ordinary OS - or leave it alone and just use it as backup and such?

========

The first problem you'll run into is getting IE to cooperate with you. I have trouble getting it to go to the web to pick up a file I may need. And, no, it is NOT recommended to run WHS as an ordinary OS.

I would NOT use this as an operating system; however, since you want to use it that way, why don't you try it out and report back to us?

BTW, if you use WHS as an OS, don't file any bugs on it. :) And . . . DON'T put any valuable information on it, just in case you crash it. :)

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

Nancy Ward

BullDawg
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 1:55 AM
  • >>Control Panel/Programs and Features/Add Remove Windows Components/Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Features.  Uncheck the block and IE will behave like a normal desktop version, but you open WHS to many vulnerabilities that it normally wouldn't be.  Not worth the risk if you ask me!
    ===========

Thanks, BullDawg. Not worth it to me either, except when I needed to go out to look for something. Can't remember what it was now. Hmmm, must not have been all that important. :)

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

Nancy Ward
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:15 AM